topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: New App! WTF!? Music Info  (Read 98018 times)

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New App! WTF!? Music Info
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:05 PM »
My NANY contribution!
check out: https://www.donation...ndex.php?board=234.0 for more info on other great NANY entries!

Hi all!  Here's a little app that'll give you the lo-down on your music collection.  Shows stats based on artist, genre, or year.  I intend on building this this up in the future, but for now it's a neat little app to let you know what you got.

Enjoy!

Download:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:17 AM by seedling »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: New App! WTF!? Music Info
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:16 PM »
fantastic!  let's see who can post the nicest charts from their big music collections.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:21 PM by mouser »

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Nice program and really useful... Here is my chart:
2007-12-31_124349.pngNew App! WTF!? Music Info

(MP3 Tracks are tracks with no artist - I did it by the top 15, artists)

dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:50 AM by dhuser »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:42 PM »
What formats does this support? I downloaded it yesterday and I see it reads MP3 (no ID3v2.4, unfortunately) and Vorbis, but seems it does not like MP4 and FLAC. Also, does it write something to the registry? Is it written in VB? (shakes before the vision of CLSID entries)

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:31 PM »
What formats does this support? I downloaded it yesterday and I see it reads MP3 (no ID3v2.4, unfortunately) and Vorbis, but seems it does not like MP4 and FLAC. Also, does it write something to the registry? Is it written in VB? (shakes before the vision of CLSID entries)

The audio lib I used supports the following:

ID3v1
ID3v2
ApeTags

According to the lib it 'should' support built in tagging systems for: WMA, FLAC, OGG

formats:
AAC, AC3, APE, FLAC, MP3, OGG, VQF, WAV, WV, WMA

(I know some of these types don't even support tags, but i have a plan for that in later builds)

NO REGISTRY ENTRIES USED AT ALL!!!

Whenever I put in a saving-type system it will use all local files in the same dir, count on that! (I too hate registry filling stuff)

And it's written and compiled using Borland C++ Builder

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:59 PM »
Could you add a feature to exclude certain directories from the recursive directory scan?

Also if too many different results then it looks all scrunched up is their a way to get it to still show all of the graph but not scrunched up without limiting the graph to the top whatever.

Here is a couple of my graphs also. First one is by genre and only if it was over 10 songs as from where I got a compilation cd their is several with only a couple and such. Second is by year and if I remember correctly it is all years.

screen_12312007_001.pngNew App! WTF!? Music Info

screen_12312007_002.pngNew App! WTF!? Music Info

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Aha, I saw the MSVC DLLs loaded in Process Explorer, but I wanted to be sure. No registry entries = peace of mind.

Well, I think I found a couple of bugs. I have a bunch of MP3s using the APEv2 tagging, and they're showed as non tagged. FLAC files are not even recognized.

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Well, I think I found a couple of bugs. I have a bunch of MP3s using the APEv2 tagging, and they're showed as non tagged. FLAC files are not even recognized.

The APEv2 bugs might be due to the audio lib i'm using. I have the source so i may have to update it myself to make it more compatible. but i will have to study APEv2 tags before i can make the adjustments.

as far as the FLAC files go, would you tell me what file extension they have? aren't they just *.flac files? if not, they may be eliminated in the file extension check (so let me know what extension you're using).  i use this first to help speed things up. if i ran each file through the libs to check for validity it'd slow things down a lot. the reason i did this was to avoid checking every single filetype it came across (i.e. *.txt, *.doc, etc.)

EDIT:

re: APETags. i forgot, these are looked up by a 'SeekField' command so it looks for fields named specifically "Artist","Genre","Year" and are case-sensitive. so if your files are titled in any other fashion, then it will not find any info. please share how your file's tag titles.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:51 PM by seedling »

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 01:32 PM »
Could you add a feature to exclude certain directories from the recursive directory scan?

Also if too many different results then it looks all scrunched up is their a way to get it to still show all of the graph but not scrunched up without limiting the graph to the top whatever.

i will be adding the ability to exclude as well as include other directories into the mix.

as far as making the chart display everything without scrunching up, well that's kind of impossible. if you have 100 lines of data and a limited screen space then you will have a scrunched display. i don't really see any other way around it.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Yes, they're plain .FLAC files, no weird file extensions.

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:59 PM »
ok, i guess i'll have to make some flac files for testing then.

also, according to the audiolib it does support ID3v2.4.x tags, so i'm not exactly sure what's going on there.

Which tagging program do you use to tag your files?  I'll try to tag files with various methods and try to get to the bottom of things.

thanks for your feedback!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I use both Mp3tag and foobar2000 to tag files.

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 03:50 PM »
what do you use to encode your mp4's (aac)? (and what extesion are they? 'mp4','m4a',?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 04:01 PM »
All are M4A, encoded with various versions of iTunes + Quicktime (iTunes v4.6.0.15 with QuickTime 6.5.1, iTunes v4.9.0.17 with QuickTime 6.5.2). I did not encode them myself (if I did, I'd use Vorbis :P), they were pre-encoded ;D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:53 AM »
Who needs tags.jpgNew App! WTF!? Music Info

Oh-kay! Who wants to tag my files?  ;)

The scan was as fast as any "professional" app and I love the right-click-copy-chart feature.
Nice work, seedling.  :up: 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 12:05 PM »
looks like there is a slight bug in the program or something, you have 3 bars at top that look like they should be both considered "untagged".

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Hmm... hadn't noticed.

I started a scan & stopped it once - played with the three categories and restarted it. The 1278 untagged files are probably the untagged ones from the first partial attempt.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 07:48 PM »
Small, Fast, Clean, Straight Forward, & Self Explanitory ... I love it!

...And it runs just fine on Vista x64.

Thank You!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 03:08 AM »
Just checked again - it's a display issue.

"Limit Chart to Top 17"
Limit to 17.jpg

"Limit Chart to Top 18"
Limit to 18.jpg

There are several unlabeled bars even in the chart I posted previously.

srboisvert

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Minor Bug:  It doesn't handle bad year data well. I had a tag that was 199x and it popped up an error dialog and seemed to stop the scan.  It would be nice to know which file (so I can fix it ) and also if it would continue scanning ignoring that file.

What I would really like is something that could fix & rationalize the metadata for my music collection.

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Minor Bug:  It doesn't handle bad year data well. I had a tag that was 199x and it popped up an error dialog and seemed to stop the scan.  It would be nice to know which file (so I can fix it ) and also if it would continue scanning ignoring that file.

What I would really like is something that could fix & rationalize the metadata for my music collection.

keep in mind folks that this is basically a build#1 type app and does what it does with properly tagged or non-tagged files
but keep the bug reports coming, i really do need them.

i'll look at this issue as well.

i've been working on implementing thehandling of mpeg4-audio files and am real close to that.  once i get over that hurdle (for you iTunes people) i'll start addressing the other issues as well as extending the applications capabilities.

thanks for your patience. and, again, keep the bug reports coming :)

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 01:20 AM »
ok Lashiec (an others), i've include mpeg-4 support! :D  from tests i've done from mpeg4 compressed files i've tested on it works (please read the readme.txt for more info)

also, i've stopped including audio filetypes that are non-taggable; suchs as ac3, wav, and vqf. this will eliminate any amount of large amount of 'non-tagged' resultes.

fixed the chart-display issue where only a % amount of relults were properly marked on the chart.

let me know if i'm missing anything else. (still working on other things, like include/exclude dirs).

thanks for you interest! :)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Good job! Now those files are recognized without problems...

... and I unearthed another bug ;D. Seems something is wrong with the recursive search, because although it works in my main music directory, counting every file located in the nested directories, when I input the main directory (My Documents) containing the two separate music directories that I have, only one is searched! The other one does not show its results in the graph.

EDIT: And another one, this time a exception. I have various pictures for each album I have together with the music files, and it seems the program doesn't like cover pictures, at least one of them, because it throws a "External Exception EEFFACE" when it gets to this picture, and it seems the scanning routine gets stopped there, as the status bar shows it's analyzing this file. I wonder if this could be caused by the fact that this picture is duplicated in two different directories. The exception only occurs when I select "Genre" in "Display chart by". And pushing "Stop" button does nothing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:23 PM by Lashiec »

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Good job! Now those files are recognized without problems...

... and I unearthed another bug ;D. Seems something is wrong with the recursive search, because although it works in my main music directory, counting every file located in the nested directories, when I input the main directory (My Documents) containing the two separate music directories that I have, only one is searched! The other one does not show its results in the graph.

Not sure why this is happening because that's exactly how I test (having multiple subdirs, etc) I'll check it out some more just to be certain there's not some weirdness happening.

EDIT: And another one, this time a exception. I have various pictures for each album I have together with the music files, and it seems the program doesn't like cover pictures, at least one of them, because it throws a "External Exception EEFFACE" when it gets to this picture, and it seems the scanning routine gets stopped there, as the status bar shows it's analyzing this file. I wonder if this could be caused by the fact that this picture is duplicated in two different directories. The exception only occurs when I select "Genre" in "Display chart by". And pushing "Stop" button does nothing.

If all of your songs are mpeg-4 audio, there might be some issue with picture tags.  I'll have to tag some m4a files I have with pictures to see if I can recreate the incident.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 08:52 PM »
No, no, pictures are free standing on each dir, the files are not tagged with them. And there's no single MP4 file in this case, just MP3, FLAC and Vorbis.