ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: kill specified programs "harshly/silently" at shutdown

<< < (5/8) > >>

mouser:
nothing appeared in tray..

the new version killed it successfully when i tried to exit.
(ps you didnt add a menu item to kill now in tray, you changed it so it kills if you exit it from the tray -- make sure to change that).

--

is it possible that the situation is more difficult than i thought, and that windows tries to shutdown programs SEQUENTIALLY, and so that if it tries to close the stuck program before it gets to yours, yours will never even be called?  :(

f0dder:
is it possible that the situation is more difficult than i thought, and that windows tries to shutdown programs SEQUENTIALLY, and so that if it tries to close the stuck program before it gets to yours, yours will never even be called?  :(
-mouser (January 02, 2008, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds very likely - doh that I didn't think about this :/

mouser:
yeah i didn't think about it either..
makes the problem a little more interesting doesn't it..  but it also makes it a little nicer if someone can figure out a solution.

jgpaiva:
(ps you didnt add a menu item to kill now in tray, you changed it so it kills if you exit it from the tray -- make sure to change that).
--- End quote ---
I added another menu item that "simulates" the shutdown sequence having started, but kept the "exit" option that doesn't kill anything.

--- End quote ---
Yes, that apparently is the problem. If it didn't show any balloon, it means the executable wasn't running when killprocesses tried to kill it...

Would there be any way to have a process have its "shutdown priority" raised? I sure haven't seen such a thing anywhere :(

f0dder:
I wonder which parameter the shutdown is "sorted" by... probably just the order processes appear in a ToolHelp32 snapshot, which is probably based on the PID?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version