topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Program to print 4 small text files as one page, 4-up  (Read 10792 times)

FreewareFan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Program to print 4 small text files as one page, 4-up
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I've been looking for a program that will let you choose anywhere from 2 - 4 small sized text files, and then print those text files in a X-up type configuration.  For example, choose 4 text files, and the program sends the output to the default printer, printing in a 4-up config, 2 across and 2 down.

If you choose 2 text files, it prints in a 2-up config.  Etc.....

Would something like that be feasible for someone here to code??

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Program to print 4 small text files as one page, 4-up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 02:47 PM »
what happens if text file has more than one page?

have you tried fineprint - you would have to open each file though (I think) and print to fineprint

there is another might be better:
PrintFile
When printing text files PrintFile makes a configurable page layout of the text contents. Several logical pages can be placed on one page of physical paper (referred to as n-up printing). There are also several other configurable options controlling the layout. Text files can be printed on any printer that has a Windows printer driver. Text copied to the clipboard can also be printed in the same manner as text files. PrintFile can also do user configurable Pretty Printing of text files. Keywords and comments can be highlighted using different font styles and colors. This function is primarily intended for source code files.
havent tried it myself though :)
Tom

FreewareFan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Hello tomos, and thanks for the reply!

I would not be using any text files that had more than one page.  These are just small text files, and that's why I'm looking for a program that will combine them in a "n-up printing" style, and then send them on to my default printer.

And yes, I did check out PrintFile, and it comes close to what I'm looking for.  But, it is just like FinePrint, in that it only comes into play when one text file is more than one page, then it kicks in and combines all those pages onto just one sheet of paper, or thereabouts. 

I know I could use other programs to combine the separate small text files, and then print from there, but I was really hoping to bypass that stage.

Thanks for the suggestions, however!!

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:38 PM »
FinePrint, in that it only comes into play when one text file is more than one page, then it kicks in and combines all those pages onto just one sheet of paper

I just opened four small text files in my text editor (Boxer), "printed" each one to FinePrint by selecting "Print All" in the text editor (I could have "printed" one at a time), and then selected "4 up" in FinePrint, which it did.  None of the text files was more than one page, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Can your printer do this natively, without needing an application?

If you still want freeware apps, try out TxtPrint and PrintFile.

FreewareFan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:28 PM »

I just opened four small text files in my text editor (Boxer), "printed" each one to FinePrint by selecting "Print All" in the text editor (I could have "printed" one at a time), and then selected "4 up" in FinePrint, which it did.  None of the text files was more than one page, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

Yes, you are right!  I don't know what I was doing wrong the first time I tested it, but I went back and tried again, and it works just fine!

Many thanks, problem solved.  I want to thank everyone in this thread for your replies, and your help! 

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Yes, you are right!

Cool, it happens rarely...