topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Click2LogIt  (Read 57847 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Click2LogIt
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Click2LogIt is a way to keep track when events occur. It runs as a tray icon and clicking on the tray icon will log the date & time to a log file. Along with the datetime stamp a user-definable notation is made.

The impetus for this program was a coding snack idea posted by 222fbj.

Click2LogIt_screenshot02.pngClick2LogIt
Click2LogIt_screenshot03.pngClick2LogIt

Download Click2LogIt.

[Updated]
  • April 7, 2008 - v. 0.0.1.11
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:13 PM by tinjaw »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Click2LogIt
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Was mentioned yesterday on ghacks.net:

http://www.ghacks.ne...-and-date/#more-3464

Screenshot - 3_10_2008 , 1_50_04 PM_thumb.png

I’m keeping track of every change to Ghacks for about a year now which means that I write down the time of the change and what I did change, e.g. advertising position or links. This is invaluable to be able to reconstruct a previous state if something goes terribly wrong. If advertisement revenue goes down I can check the log and see if I made any changes to the positions in that time.

Click 2 Log It created by TINJAW was a contribution to the Donation Coder Nany Challenge. The application is available in the system tray if it is running. A left-click writes a new note while a right-click opens a context menu with the option to change the text that will be logged from now on.

It’s a little bit complicated - I think - that a left-click is not opening a form where you can enter a log text by yourself but you get used to that. Maybe the author reads this article and will update his version with this option, it would be great.

Another thing that bothers me is the sound that is played whenever a new log entry is created. It would be great if it would be possible to turn off the sound completely. Still, the application is nice and fast and makes my life easier. With the proposed changes it would simply rock.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Heh, pretty cute that a super-simple little tool like that gets some real use :D
- carpe noctem

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:06 PM »
I have updated Click2LogIt to add the #1 requested feature; to allow the user to remove or change the sound made when a log entry is made.

With version 0.0.1.11 there is no sound by default. If you wish to choose a sound, just right-click on the tray icon and there is now a menu item to Select Sound. Click2LogIt will play any mp3 or wav file you select.

bcbigb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 02:00 AM »
Ideas for expansion of this cool, simple concept:
   > New config dialogue in right-click menu: "Config" opens.  Writes to local .ini or .cfg (arbitrary extension type, who cares) when config menu closed (in case of system failure) & at shutdown. This local file config is for easy backup/portability.
   > Default left click: Opens tiny dialogue where you can enter as much text as you want. Enter key would close the dialogue and write it out to the file. This would also necessitate having a different format that would allow you to display the text indented without actually writing that to the text (in case it needed to be recopied/pasted later). Think about the typical IM log viewer, with each person's msg indented after their name --> html like pidgin's logs perhaps?
         > Config: Drop down menu -> Allows the choice of behavior for left-click (orig/my sugg/???)
   > Perhaps a hybrid approach, with single-line/.txt behavior or multi-line/.html behavior
   > Config: Option to define where to write log file to. Possibly include ability to use environment vars (http://vlaurie.com/c...cles/environment.htm) & ability to write to UNC path names (i.e. \\server1\c\logs\). Also enable single-log behavior or multi-log behavior (based on definable file name parameters, like %date% and %time% etc).
   > Config: Options to change icon clicking behavior by hotkey (i.e. ctrl-lclick or alt-lclick etc)

K... that's it for now. I see this as a really neat idea that could grow to be massively adaptable to many different people if implemented in good, tight code (like FARR). And yeah, for me, the point of sweet usability starts with the second suggestion (default left-click change), so I was motivated to write to you by that and the rest just came as I wrote ;-). Good luck. I'll keep up with this and I hope it grows.

~Brandon

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:24 AM »
another idea...
I record streamed music, and later save selections from the file to individual mp3 files. At the moment if I hear a track I like I stop what I'm doing and jot down the time into the recording, the musician/track title, then the end time.
I could well use Click2Logit to do this, but it would involve a bit of maths(time on clock-time recording started). If I could set Click2Logit to use an elapsed time, it would be perfect.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have need to note something according to elapsed time.
tony

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 02:36 PM »
@Brandon, @Tony,

Excellent suggestions. I will add them to my bug tracker as enhancement requests and do my best to get to them asap.

As some my have noticed, I haven't done more that read the forums for several weeks. I've been working on several projects related to my day job and some as I try to get my company started. For example, right now I am working for XXXXXXXXX who has a contract with XXXXXXXXXX to make a demo of XXXXXXXXX. I'm sure you are as excited as I am.  :P

I *will* add these. Poke me every few weeks until I comply.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 03:06 PM »
I noticed your absence -- it's good to hear you are busy and still can stop by to visit when you can.  :up:

appyface

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Isn't she beautiful? :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 07:27 AM »
Hello -

I wanted to try Click2LogIt as it looks like something I could use.  I did run into what looks like a minor bug.  I tried to sign up for an account in your bug tracker but my email address is not accepted...  Right-click and choose "Change Log Text", then just click "cancel" (as in, "nevermind").  Unfortunately the log text is removed.

I saw where people have requested a stored list of texts to choose and that would be helpful. 

What I could really use, is

1.  Prompted for text each time I click the tray icon

2.  Remember the last text so I can just click "OK" to use it again.  Also offer "Cancel" to abort creating a log entry (but don't lose the last text)

3.  Use drop-down box/auto-complete history to be able to recall old texts quickly from the text box

4.  Systray balloon when the log entry has been written

5.  Manually clean up stored auto-complete entries no longer wanted

My end goal is to create after-the-fact appointment blocks on my Outlook/exchange calendar.  My Outlook calendar serves as a record for my activities, it is a PITA to set up appointments directly on the calendar.  So I currently keep a spreadsheet of dates and text and already have a little macro that creates appointment import files in Outlook calendar import format (*.vcs). 

Having this app automate the creation of my spreadsheet entries would just make it that much easier. 

Thanks and regards,
--appyface

WinXP SP3+all post hotfixes via m$ update

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 02:08 AM »
Numbers 1 and 2 in appyface's post above would be super, TJ. Let's face it, unless you only intend to use it for one and only one repeating task, then you have to right-click, 'Change Log Text', and then type in your log text. Much easier to just left-click, tpye your short note, and then click OK. The way it is now, I find I don’t use it much.

Thanks!

Jim

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Brilliant - was just thinking I need to keep track of what I have done during the day - this is perfect!  :Thmbsup:

I agree with J-Mac about left click, type note though...  :)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I have returned to this planet called Earth after a long journey. I shall attempt to get to this soon. It will make for a nice "break" from the chaos of my normal life.  ;)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Ideas for expansion of this cool, simple concept:
   > New config dialogue in right-click menu: "Config" opens.  Writes to local .ini or .cfg (arbitrary extension type, who cares) when config menu closed (in case of system failure) & at shutdown. This local file config is for easy backup/portability.

Added issue #22: Add Configuration/.ini file

> Default left click: Opens tiny dialogue where you can enter as much text as you want. Enter key would close the dialogue and write it out to the file.

That part I understand. It is the next part I don't. Added issue #23.

This would also necessitate having a different format that would allow you to display the text indented without actually writing that to the text (in case it needed to be recopied/pasted later). Think about the typical IM log viewer, with each person's msg indented after their name --> html like pidgin's logs perhaps?

If somebody could enlighten me as to what Brandon was talking about here, I can add it to the issue.

> Config: Drop down menu -> Allows the choice of behavior for left-click (orig/my sugg/???)

OK. Another variation on the theme. Issue #24.

> Perhaps a hybrid approach, with single-line/.txt behavior or multi-line/.html behavior

Allow for HTML in log entry. Issue #25.

> Config: Option to define where to write log file to.

Already there.

Possibly include ability to use environment vars (http://vlaurie.com/c...cles/environment.htm)

Good idea. Issue # 26

& ability to write to UNC path names (i.e. \\server1\c\logs\).

Also a good idea. Issue #27

Also enable single-log behavior or multi-log behavior (based on definable file name parameters, like %date% and %time% etc).

Brandon must have been hit in the face by the good idea fairy. :-) Issue #28.

> Config: Options to change icon clicking behavior by hotkey (i.e. ctrl-lclick or alt-lclick etc)

OK! Enough with the good ideas!!!! Issue #29.

K... that's it for now. I see this as a really neat idea that could grow to be massively adaptable to many different people if implemented in good, tight code (like FARR). And yeah, for me, the point of sweet usability starts with the second suggestion (default left-click change), so I was motivated to write to you by that and the rest just came as I wrote ;-). Good luck. I'll keep up with this and I hope it grows.

~Brandon

Those were a bunch of great suggestions. Thanks Brandon.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 09:06 PM »
another idea...
I record streamed music, and later save selections from the file to individual mp3 files. At the moment if I hear a track I like I stop what I'm doing and jot down the time into the recording, the musician/track title, then the end time.
I could well use Click2Logit to do this, but it would involve a bit of maths(time on clock-time recording started). If I could set Click2Logit to use an elapsed time, it would be perfect.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have need to note something according to elapsed time.
tony

That's a good idea. I can combine this with issue #29 to allow for one type of click to reset the clock, one to use elapsed time, and another to use wall clock time. Issue #30.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 09:24 PM »
Right-click and choose "Change Log Text", then just click "cancel" (as in, "nevermind").  Unfortunately the log text is removed.
Issue # 31. Thanks for spotting & reporting that.

Remember the last text so I can just click "OK" to use it again.

Added as issue #32 & linked to issue #23.

Also offer "Cancel" to abort creating a log entry (but don't lose the last text)

Added as issue #33 and also linked to issue #23.

Systray balloon when the log entry has been written

Ah Ha! I think I just found my test project for using Snarl. Issue # 34.

Manually clean up stored auto-complete entries no longer wanted

Added as issue #35 and linked to issue #24

My end goal is to create after-the-fact appointment blocks on my Outlook/exchange calendar.  My Outlook calendar serves as a record for my activities, it is a PITA to set up appointments directly on the calendar.  So I currently keep a spreadsheet of dates and text and already have a little macro that creates appointment import files in Outlook calendar import format (*.vcs). 

Would adding CSV as an optional format for the log help you with this?

Thank you for the great ideas!

appyface

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Hi tinjaw, welcome back to our planet, hope it isn't much the worse for wear as when you left it :-(  (Don't watch the news)

See what happens when you make a nice idea into a little coding-snack program?  We turn it into a full blown app :-)

Yes a CSV output file option would be a nice touch.  A tab-delimited file would also be a good format.  Your choice and thanks.

Brandon can speak for himself of course :-) I think what he meant was a 'pretty display' of the stored data, indented per entry to make it easier so scroll back through and look at.  But don't store it on disk that way, just format it pretty for perusual.

Of course I could be way off base but that's what I got from his comment.

Thank you again for coming back to this!

Best regards,
--appyface

P.S.  May I inquire as to reason for your long absence?  We all have enough to deal with in our lives without adding in anything 'extra', I hope everything is OK.  No need to respond if I'm out of line to ask.  --appy

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 06:09 AM »
I agree with appyface -- inquiring minds want to know.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 08:43 AM »
P.S.  May I inquire as to reason for your long absence?  We all have enough to deal with in our lives without adding in anything 'extra', I hope everything is OK.  No need to respond if I'm out of line to ask.  --appy

I guess the cynical short version is that I stopped sitting in front of my computer 24x7. I started working out regularly and getting out of the house and socializing. I stopped staying up to the whee hours of the morning. I then started dating - a non-computer geek. I just didn't have any time left to hang out on IRC and here in the forums as much. I'm still working out, going to bed on time, and my girlfriend has moved in with me -- so that does take up most of the time I used to spend on DC. However, I still want to be part of this wonderful community and participate as much as I can.

Now I am trying to find the right balance between all of the things I love (like coding with Python!) and all of the things I don't love so much, but need to do (like go to bed on time and work out regularly). It's not going to be easy.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 09:37 AM »
congratulations.. that is wonderful to hear.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

appyface

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 10:31 AM »
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: indeed!!! 

Glad to know it was the best reason possible for being away!!!!  None better.  Congrats on a new life.

Best,
--appyface

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 10:56 AM »