ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

multi-edit 2006: the excellent editor you have never heard of

<< < (4/4)

tranglos:
Guys, for screenshots of Multi-Edit use Google ;)
-Lashiec (January 01, 2008, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, one screenshot even made it to the Interface Hall of Shame :)
http://homepage.mac.com/bradster/iarchitect/tabs.htm
(You'll need to scroll down a little.)

And not undeservedly, I should say. I installed MultiEdit trial recently and I must say it has some of the ugliest, worst-organized dialog boxes I've seen recently. (It was hard to write, so it must be hard to use - this still happens a lot with the more expensive software.) It does have a lot of power features, of course, but the complete lack of unicode/UTF8 support breaks the deal for me, just like with the otherwise fantastic Boxer editor.

Still looking for the optimal editor(tm).

Lashiec:
o_O, at least it's not like "Psychedelic Screen Saver" (kudos for the designer of that GUI ;D)

tranglos:
o_O, at least it's not like "Psychedelic Screen Saver" (kudos for the designer of that GUI ;D)
-Lashiec (January 04, 2008, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kudos totally :)

Interesting difference in the approach of the two developers though. One was motivated by the Hall of Shame entry to redesign the UI, the other quite the opposite.

lanux128:
I got hooked on EmEditor by Emurasoft a few years ago. It has syntax highlighting for (just about) everything, a plugin interface that allows you to code your own addons, and auto-formats the code rather well. www.EmEditor.com -Stoic Joker (January 03, 2008, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

yes, EmEditor is quite good. i briefly tested it while doing a coding snack and even the author dropped by sometime ago..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version