topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: multi-edit 2006: the excellent editor you have never heard of  (Read 12812 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We all know how great textMate is. Same for Vim (I have been advocating it here).

Here's a virtually unknown editor that does a lot of innovative stuff: multi-edit 2006.

Forums are here.

I'm just playing with it, but look at this for example:
Common Code Manager

When combined with the Project Manager, Internet programming language support includes many features for managing an entire web site.  One of the most useful timesaving features is the Common Code Manager, which allows you to duplicate a piece of HTML code across an entire Project list.

To use the Common Code Manager, mark a block of code that you will want to use in a number of places and select Manage Common Code from the toolbar or HTML Tools | Common code manager from the Context Menu.  Select Add and provide a name for the block of code.  This will create a marker in the HTML code and create a separate file to contain this code for later duplication and editing.

Once a common code block has been created, use the Common Code Manager to insert that block of text into each file in which you wish it to appear.  This offers a great advantage over cutting and pasting or searching and replacing.  When changing the common code, you can run the Common Code Manager again, edit the common code block, and update it across all files in the Project containing that common code block.  This saves a significant amount of time when updating common footers and headers on your web site.

I've never seen anything like it ever. Innovative.

It's pricey ($79), but it looks like lots of things are done right! The lite version (here's what you'll miss is not more expensive than other editors in the market ($39).
Oh, and it has Native Beyond Compare Integration (they licensed it and built it into the product... so now the price for the lite version is more than reasonable!).
Thoughts?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: multi-edit 2006: the excellent editor you have never heard of
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:32 AM »
Humm, their Common Code Manager sounds like a snippet manager on speed... but it also seems like something that promotes bad practices instead of proper code re-use.

Guess I'll have a look at the editor, but as long as Notepad++ is free, it's going to take a helluva lot to make me pay for a text editor :)
- carpe noctem

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:08 AM »

Isn't that just a snippet functionality?

I use Notepad++ too on Windows, but I would be lost without TextMate on OS X and I'd pay for it on Windows if it was available...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:15 AM »

Isn't that just a snippet functionality?
Not just that, no, if I understand it correctly: if you update a snippet, it'll update all the uses of that snippet, too.
- carpe noctem

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Not just that, no, if I understand it correctly: if you update a snippet, it'll update all the uses of that snippet, too.

That's how I understand it too, but you could set up something similar yourself using macros, or use something like PPWizard to do something similar (plus lots of other things as well). I don't use it now, but I have done before (it's been around since 1998!) and it worked pretty flawlessly.

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 08:29 AM »
Ah yes, that is a cool GUI wrapper for snippet+project find+replace...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Ah yes, that is a cool GUI wrapper for snippet+project find+replace...
And that is all it is :)

Though to be smart, you could keep a database of "which files were this snippet used in" so it wouldn't be necessary to do FindInFiles, and you would be able to update files all over the harddrive if you wanted, not just doing it per-project... although I'm not sure how desirable that would be :)
- carpe noctem

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:43 AM »
One thing that drives me crazy with application/software websites is a lack of screenshots.  The website is difficult and confusing to navigate.  I couldn't find any screenshots.  If there aren't any, or they are hidden, why?  I always a question an application that doesn't provide screenshots.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 09:57 AM »
One thing that drives me crazy with application/software websites is a lack of screenshots.  The website is difficult and confusing to navigate.  I couldn't find any screenshots.  If there aren't any, or they are hidden, why?  I always a question an application that doesn't provide screenshots.
Yeah, I feel the same nowadays... in a way I feel a bit ashamed about this, feel that it's a vanity thing... but the end result is that I'm not very likely to download & test something that doesn't have screenshots, even if it has a nice feature list.

Heck, I might not even check the feature list if there aren't any screenshots!
- carpe noctem

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 10:21 AM »
I am in total agreement.  I won't download without some screenshots.  The reason for me is two fold: 1) Screenshots start to set trust in the application for me and 2) I am drawn to certain interfaces and looks and if I don't like the interface there is no reason wasting time downloading/installing

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I use Notepad++ too on Windows, but I would be lost without TextMate on OS X and I'd pay for it on Windows if it was available...

Well, E Text Editor supports TextMate bundles, and the developers of both apps are in contact to further develop this feature. It's the closest thing in my opinion.

Guys, for screenshots of Multi-Edit use Google ;)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 01:42 PM »

Well, E Text Editor supports TextMate bundles, and the developers of both apps are in contact to further develop this feature. It's the closest thing in my opinion.

Notepad++ has text snippets support via plugins recently, although probably not as powerful as TextMate bundles, they do get the job done for me.

Perhaps google can provide screens, but they ought to be on the product pages. People are lazy.
- carpe noctem

ssb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 01:18 AM »
I was using it years ago, when it was only available on DOS.
Although MultiEdit is still a great programmers editor, it has a serious limitation; no Unicode support.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 06:29 AM »
I got hooked on EmEditor by Emurasoft a few years ago. It has syntax highlighting for (just about) everything, a plugin interface that allows you to code your own addons, and auto-formats the code rather well. www.EmEditor.com

kovi2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 03:53 AM »

You may want to have a look:
http://www.e-texteditor.com/

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03 AM »

Heh, one screenshot even made it to the Interface Hall of Shame :)
http://homepage.mac..../iarchitect/tabs.htm
(You'll need to scroll down a little.)

And not undeservedly, I should say. I installed MultiEdit trial recently and I must say it has some of the ugliest, worst-organized dialog boxes I've seen recently. (It was hard to write, so it must be hard to use - this still happens a lot with the more expensive software.) It does have a lot of power features, of course, but the complete lack of unicode/UTF8 support breaks the deal for me, just like with the otherwise fantastic Boxer editor.

Still looking for the optimal editor(tm).

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25 AM »
o_O, at least it's not like "Psychedelic Screen Saver" (kudos for the designer of that GUI ;D)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36 AM »
o_O, at least it's not like "Psychedelic Screen Saver" (kudos for the designer of that GUI ;D)

Kudos totally :)

Interesting difference in the approach of the two developers though. One was motivated by the Hall of Shame entry to redesign the UI, the other quite the opposite.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 07:57 AM »
I got hooked on EmEditor by Emurasoft a few years ago. It has syntax highlighting for (just about) everything, a plugin interface that allows you to code your own addons, and auto-formats the code rather well. www.EmEditor.com

yes, EmEditor is quite good. i briefly tested it while doing a coding snack and even the author dropped by sometime ago..