ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

multi-edit 2006: the excellent editor you have never heard of

(1/4) > >>

urlwolf:
We all know how great textMate is. Same for Vim (I have been advocating it here).

Here's a virtually unknown editor that does a lot of innovative stuff: multi-edit 2006.

Forums are here.

I'm just playing with it, but look at this for example:
Common Code Manager

When combined with the Project Manager, Internet programming language support includes many features for managing an entire web site.  One of the most useful timesaving features is the Common Code Manager, which allows you to duplicate a piece of HTML code across an entire Project list.

To use the Common Code Manager, mark a block of code that you will want to use in a number of places and select Manage Common Code from the toolbar or HTML Tools | Common code manager from the Context Menu.  Select Add and provide a name for the block of code.  This will create a marker in the HTML code and create a separate file to contain this code for later duplication and editing.

Once a common code block has been created, use the Common Code Manager to insert that block of text into each file in which you wish it to appear.  This offers a great advantage over cutting and pasting or searching and replacing.  When changing the common code, you can run the Common Code Manager again, edit the common code block, and update it across all files in the Project containing that common code block.  This saves a significant amount of time when updating common footers and headers on your web site.

--- End quote ---

I've never seen anything like it ever. Innovative.

It's pricey ($79), but it looks like lots of things are done right! The lite version (here's what you'll miss is not more expensive than other editors in the market ($39).
Oh, and it has Native Beyond Compare Integration (they licensed it and built it into the product... so now the price for the lite version is more than reasonable!).
Thoughts?

f0dder:
Humm, their Common Code Manager sounds like a snippet manager on speed... but it also seems like something that promotes bad practices instead of proper code re-use.

Guess I'll have a look at the editor, but as long as Notepad++ is free, it's going to take a helluva lot to make me pay for a text editor :)

nontroppo:
I've never seen anything like it ever. Innovative.-urlwolf (December 29, 2007, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that just a snippet functionality?

I use Notepad++ too on Windows, but I would be lost without TextMate on OS X and I'd pay for it on Windows if it was available...

f0dder:
I've never seen anything like it ever. Innovative.-urlwolf (December 29, 2007, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that just a snippet functionality?
-nontroppo (January 01, 2008, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not just that, no, if I understand it correctly: if you update a snippet, it'll update all the uses of that snippet, too.

Perry Mowbray:
Not just that, no, if I understand it correctly: if you update a snippet, it'll update all the uses of that snippet, too.
-f0dder (January 01, 2008, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's how I understand it too, but you could set up something similar yourself using macros, or use something like PPWizard to do something similar (plus lots of other things as well). I don't use it now, but I have done before (it's been around since 1998!) and it worked pretty flawlessly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version