topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What language is the best for a new programmer to start with?  (Read 56876 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a friend who is wanting to start coding, the problem is what language. I am partial to VB and C++ as those are what I was brought up on, but I want to get some input from the coding community. Any thoughts on what would be a good place to start when going for Windows applications programming while allowing for cross platform compatibility using libraries like WxWidgets, etc.

Thoughts?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What language is the best for a new programmer to start with?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:58 PM »
I guess it depends...

Delphi makes it very easy to do GUI applications, and Object Pascal is a pretty fully-featured language (and doesn't lend as easily to bad code as BASIC), and it's a lot harder to shoot yourself in the foot than with C++. And while Borland's code generation isn't top notch and the VCL is bloated, the results are a lot better than you get with JAVA. It's also pretty easy to migrate from Object Pascal to C++, as the languages are similar (different syntax and C++ is more powerful, but they have a very similar common subset).

Cross platform isn't something you should try and learn as the first thing, imho, since it's quite a mouthful, and can be very discouraging.

C++ could be an okay learning language as well, but I haven't seen any decent material aimed at newcomers. And it _is_ easy to shoot yourself in the foot. One should never teach (non-plus) C as a first language, too many needless details, even more opportunities for foot-shooting, and horrid and unsafe string library functions, pointer hell, etc...

VB... dunno. It's very easy to click-and-play and sure you can do larger things in VB and sure you can enforce okay coding rules... but it's too easy to end up with horrid spaghetti code, and even with "option explicit" it sometimes feels a lot like you're dealing with a typeless language. But my VB experience has mostly been from Office programming where you're dealing with magnificent transmogryping COM objects with poor documentation, horrid lookup functions in the documentation, craptastic member/method names (using 's' to designate plural isn't a good idea in programing), etc.
- carpe noctem

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 07:58 PM »
I would recommend C#.  Really no point starting out learning VB, as its support on future Windows OS's are sketchy.  Plus learning C# opens up other programming languages where the syntax is similar.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I ditto what Veign said. The real meat an potatoes of the corporate job market will be solidly C# in the next two years. If you friend is dead set on crossplatform *and* this is their first language, I would strongly suggest Python. The point f0dder made about Delphi being an easy transition to C++ is doubly so because much of the Win32 api is wrapped by the VCL. So as you learn the VCL you will be learning C++ via proxy as you use the Win32 api reference docs which are in C++. You can also use C++ DLLs with Delphi.

TxQuestor

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48 AM »
 :Thmbsup:

I just found this thread.
Could tinjaw give more details on why "Python" in addition to cross platform capability. 
I'm interested in broadening my programming language abilities. 

As an alternative, can anyone recommend an IDE. 
Example:  SharpDevelop, DevC++.

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:32 PM »
If he wants to learn programming, I would start with Ruby coupled with an appropriate book like Learn to Program, Ruby by Example or Everyday scripting with Ruby, or with Python, both are easy, appropriate for beginners, and work with wxWidgets.

I'd leave C++, C# or Java for later, once he has grasped the basics. Starting with those also increases the chances of him to quit soon...Ruby and Python are more fun to code in, and good for creating solid programming habits too.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Clearly, choosing a language to learn how to program (I'm interested too...) depends on what you want to do. But if one wants to learn the "basic transferable-transversal principles", learn good habits and still be able to write some simple and fun programs, what's the "best" choice? Here's what's been mentioned here :

- Ruby
- Python
- C#
- Delphi

And one book :

- "Learn to Program"

I know there's been other threads on this subject, but..

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Hm, I think Ruby is still too young to promote this way. (And implementations are still semi-buggy and heavy).

Even Python is a relatively new-fangled language, but it has some years of baggage and has matured a lot. And it seems the standard libraries have also evolved a bit beyond very thin wrappers above the native API, which wasn't really all that portable.
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:14 PM »
So, what would the expert coders here recommend? Any consensus?  :) C# ?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:00 AM »
I'd also be interested in hearing more about which books are recommended. Especially for C++.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:07 AM »
There were also these threads with similar questions :

- https://www.donation...46.msg94249#msg94249
- https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8094.0

A few books were recommended (by f0dder and CWuestefeld):

"Effective C++" by Scott Meyers
"More Effective C++" by Scott Meyers
"Effective STL" by Scott Meyers
"C++ Coding Standards"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:04 AM by Armando »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:03 AM »
There was also these threads with similar questions :

- https://www.donation...46.msg94249#msg94249
- https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8094.0

A few books were recommended (by f0dder and CWuestefeld):

"Effective C++" by Scott Meyers
"More Effective C++" by Scott Meyers
"Effective STL" by Scott Meyers
"C++ Coding Standards"

Yeah I saw that thread, but by the time those books were mentioned it seemed to me that the conversation had moved to books beyond the beginner level and more into advanced.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:05 AM by Deozaan »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:15 AM »
Yeah, those books are beyond the beginner - but imho required for anyone who wants to get serious about C++ :)
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 01:38 AM »
What about C++ Primer, Fourth Edition, By Lippman, Lajoie and Moo ? Anybody worked with it?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:25 PM »
In the past I've often turned to O'Reilly books for learning languages, but as I look over their C++ catalog it seems the only book they have for beginners is C++ The Core Language which was published in 1995. Would a book on computer languages still be useful after 13 years? There's also Practical C++ Programming published in 2002, but I can't really tell if that's a beginner book or just a "now that you know how to program C++, how about we show you how to do it properly" kind of book.

What's a good, up-to-date book on C++ for beginners?

And I'm also interested in hearing your opinions on O'Reilly books in general. The only reason I'm "loyal" to them is because my brother used them and recommended them to me back when I first started coding in 1998 or so.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52 PM »
A large part of a program is the UI and coding a UI in C++ MFC, etc is not easy at all. If you are interested in Windows programming, I'd recommend a .Net language (VB, C#) if you want to go the .Net route, or VB6 or Delphi for the COM route. For web dev. I'd go ASP.Net or VWG (http://www.visualwebgui.com)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55 PM »
Would a book on computer languages still be useful after 13 years?

Hmmm. That's close, I don't remember the exact dates. AFAIK the last real watershed in C++ was the STL. If the book discusses the STL (or the official inclusion of templates in the language, which I think pretty much coincides), then I think you'll be OK.

A large part of a program is the UI and coding a UI in C++ MFC, etc is not easy at all. If you are interested in Windows programming, I'd recommend a .Net language (VB, C#) if you want to go the .Net route, or VB6 or Delphi for the COM route. For web dev. I'd go ASP.Net or VWG (http://www.visualwebgui.com)

I agree completely. C++ is difficult because so much of the language is subtleties that are very much not apparent to newbies. And MFC is like root canal. I hated it back then, and today there are just so many superior alternatives that I would never consider doing such development.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 01:56 PM »

Ah, thanks Pierre. So C# or Delphi are not a bad idea. Now... to find a 1 or 2 good books...

@Deozann : Regarding books on C++ :
Learn to Program with C++ by John Smiley seems to get some good reviews too. Apparently, it's really made for the novice (like me). But maybe would it be to slow for you.

PS :  ;D Another post, again, while I was writing... Thanks CWuestefeld!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 02:04 PM »
VB, C#, VB6, Delphi... All of these are strictly Windows, aren't they ? If one is thinking portability-compatibility (with Linux, for instance...), I guess one has to go more with... java, python or ruby ??

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 04:18 PM »
VB, C#, VB6, Delphi... All of these are strictly Windows, aren't they ? If one is thinking portability-compatibility (with Linux, for instance...), I guess one has to go more with... java, python or ruby ??
Both Mac and Linux now have Windows emulation which works very well. .Net can also be compiled for other platforms.
http://en.wikipedia..../wiki/Cross-platform
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 04:34 PM »
If one is thinking portability-compatibility (with Linux, for instance...), I guess one has to go more with... java, python or ruby ??

This is one of my pet peeves. Why would you think portability is important? There are vanishingly few pieces of software that can be good on all platforms even if your choice of language, libraries, programming, etc., are all perfect.

Users in 2008 deserve a level of usability that simply can't be achieved by a portable application. Windows, Mac, and the various Linux UIs all have different metaphors. Too, the types of people using all of these platforms differs significantly, with different goals, different skill levels, etc.

The fact that something can run on all these platforms does not mean that it will usable on all of them. You won't be able to optimize your UI toward the expectations of a given platform. And you won't be able to design your interactions in a way that works well for all user types.

Better to do it well on one platform. If you know what kind of software you're trying to build, then the rest should logically follow.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 05:08 PM »
A full application might not be feasible to do portably, but portability is important when you're writing library routines. And even if you don't aim to make your SuperAppTM portable, it doesn't hurt keeping portability in mind, as it (imho) helps you think a bit more componental/modular, and leads to cleaner code.

As for O'Reilly, their books are a mixed bag. Some are pretty good though. My bookshelf has most titles by Addison-Wesley.
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 12:24 AM »
Thanks for your answers.

Why would you think portability is important?

My idea of learning a portable language only comes from the fear of being strictly OS bound... I guess the idea is driven by the frustration with all these Windows applications that I'd like to use in Linux (but can't)... Instantly, without any further integrations, customization, etc.: Farr, SyncBackSE, abbyy fine reader or omnipage,  X1 or Archivarius, etc.

Now, from what you say, I understand that portable applications usually can't achieve the level of usability that non portable ones have. Or can they? Is that because of the limits of the languages used ?

A full application might not be feasible to do portably, but portability is important when you're writing library routines. And even if you don't aim to make your SuperAppTM portable, it doesn't hurt keeping portability in mind, as it (imho) helps you think a bit more componental/modular, and leads to cleaner code.

Thanks f0dder.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 07:18 AM »
Could tinjaw give more details on why "Python" in addition to cross platform capability. 
I'm interested in broadening my programming language abilities. 

Python is an excellent language for learning because it is one of the easiest to read. You can look at code examples and easily grasp what they are doing. It is part of the foundation of the language.

The Zen of Python

Beautiful is better than ugly.
    Explicit is better than implicit.
    Simple is better than complex.
    Complex is better than complicated.
    Flat is better than nested.
    Sparse is better than dense.
    Readability counts.
    Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
    Although practicality beats purity.
    Errors should never pass silently.
    Unless explicitly silenced.
    In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
    There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
    Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.
    Now is better than never.
    Although never is often better than *right* now.
    If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
    If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
    Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!
-PEP20

As an alternative, can anyone recommend an IDE. 
Example:  SharpDevelop, DevC++.

For Python, I recommend iPython for standard command line work and Eclipse with Pydev and pyDev Extensions for an IDE.

For books, I recommend How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python. (Free download supported by purchasing the dead tree edition.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 07:24 AM »

I still stick with my first piece of advice, which is to try to find a book that motivates you.  But perhaps the other thing to say is that maybe the important thing is not to choose the best language for you right away -- instead, it may be most important for you that you try a few languages.

Not only will this let you figure out which one suits you best, it will serve the very important purpose of helping you to see which concepts are common across languages, and which features are specific to different languages.