ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

What language is the best for a new programmer to start with?

<< < (9/11) > >>

Ehtyar:
:-*

Ehtyar.

wraith808:
Every time tinjaw mentions Python, an impoverished snake gets a free meal.  :D
-app103 (November 18, 2009, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which means a bunny dies?  :huh:

ipman:
For sure during 80-90 it was Pascal.
But IMHO Now the best language to start is Java.

Josh:
After looking, I realized that most of my work does not involve GUI operation at all. As such, I have moved on to, what I consider, a very nice scripting language. This is Microsoft Powershell. It has given me some learning that transfers easily into .NET, which I can use with my free copy of Visual Studio 2008 (and soon 2010) pro from Microsoft.

This language has proven it's usefulness to me as a sys admin and network manager. I can script so many things and do so much that it is unreal. I get access to any system object with a WMI interface, can script it, access its methods and properties, and code it to my liking.

I am considering looking at Python since it seems to be "highly recommended", although Ehtyar recommends it so how good can it REALLY be ;-) <prod>Ehtyar</prod>

Thoughts on python and WHAT MAKES IT a good language to learn?

SingingBoyo:
Eww... Microsoftisms... ugly.

As much as you possibly can, look for cross-platform languages.  Python, Java, and Arlix if I ever finish it ;)

I learned with Java.  It's an awesome language, and since all I do is GUI programs, I have extreme difficulties with C/C++ (until Arlix... I may be cured).  Python is ok, if not my language of preference.  PHP is awesome for websites, but I'll never use it for anything else.

Maybe this will help someone later on!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version