ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

What language is the best for a new programmer to start with?

<< < (8/11) > >>

f0dder:
Without any technical details, typical reports from professional programmers are such that they experience some kind of constraints when they migrate from Java to CPP and some kind of relief when they migrate from CPP to Java. Well, those feelings are not permanent, and generally speaking migration is not difficult due to certain language similarities (object-oriented approach, syntax, etc.)
-sciagent (November 17, 2009, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
That would be constraints when moving TO java, and relief when going BACK TO C++ :)

Java is a pretty decent language, it's good for learning, and there's aspects of it (and it's tools) that I miss in C++. But it's definitely limited compared to C++ in a number of ways, both language-wise and considering paradigms. There's basically "One True Way" to do Java, whereas C++ is a lot more pragmatic.

sciagent:
Java is a pretty decent language, it's good for learning, and there's aspects of it (and it's tools) that I miss in C++.
-f0dder (November 17, 2009, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that is exactly for the title of this thread:)

This is probably not the best place to discuss of language particularities and support the-never-stop-battle of Java vs. C++, but you can do pretty much "everything" with both languages at a professional level IMHO. Both languages have certain pragmatism and certain (up-to any) degree of freedom depending on what do we develop.

The following stat may tell something for selection of the first programming language:
TIOBE Programming Community Index
Please, don't misinterpret this index, there's a description.

tinjaw:
Python

Sorry it's been so long since I reminded all you about the bestest programming language EVAR! I'm slacking!

app103:
Every time tinjaw mentions Python, an impoverished snake gets a free meal.  :D

mouser:
Every time tinjaw mentions Python, an impoverished snake gets a free meal.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version