ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

A-book: a very good, sync-able, alternative addressbook

<< < (3/4) > >>

superboyac:
Hi m_s,
A-book is kind of growing on me ( I just wish it wasn't so bulky!).  Do you know if there's a way to add custom fields to the already big list of fields?  Like, if I wanted to add a field for "Team name" or something.

m_s:
Hi Superboyac,

On a quick poke around, it doesn't seem possible to get completely customised field names, but you can choose from a large list of options - click on 'Tools', then 'Options', then click the 'Other' tab and click on 'Select Fields'.

I still use A-book and find it really good - especially with the added Pocket PC sync.  However, my mission to break free of Outlook has pretty much fallen apart...  I will start a thread on this sometime early in the new year, because my process might be useful/interesting to others...

Redhat:
Hi Superboyac,

On a quick poke around, it doesn't seem possible to get completely customised field names, but you can choose from a large list of options - click on 'Tools', then 'Options', then click the 'Other' tab and click on 'Select Fields'.

I still use A-book and find it really good - especially with the added Pocket PC sync.  However, my mission to break free of Outlook has pretty much fallen apart...  I will start a thread on this sometime early in the new year, because my process might be useful/interesting to others...

-m_s (December 28, 2005, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I too, am trying to break away from Outlook. Even though it's hard not to use something you've paid for :(

On the subject of A-Book, it looks great. Although the price for something I may not use too much feels a bit steap, but I am looking into TheBat! so I'll see the address book capabilities of that :)

superboyac:
Hi Superboyac,

-m_s (December 28, 2005, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.  Like I said in my other thread, I've been looking for a good addressbook for years.  I use Pegasus for my email, and I doubt I will ever use anything else, because I love that program.  The Bat is a fantastic program, but what sets Pegasus apart from every single other email program is it's old-school ability to have it's own desktop configuration inside the program.  I have 3 or 4 mailboxes open at once, along with an addressbook and a notes window, all tiled just the way I want.  Most email programs are limited to some 3-pane format.  If any of them were to go retro and allow that feature, I would consider another email program.  But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Anyway (that was a little off-topic), I like to know how people deal with all their addresses and stuff.  I still think that someone here should think about writing a software similar to Screenshot Captor for addressbooks.  Screenshot Captor is such a good, high-quality program.  In my mind, I can see combining features from Screenshot Captor and the Find and Run Robot to make a very nice, simple, addressbook software.  But A-bbok is pretty good, but there are many things lacking in it.

FYI, I am not a PDA guy.  Unless my career requires me to have one, I won't do it on my own.  That is why I want to have a good addressbook on my computer.  I think that because people rely on PDA's and cellphones, and their default email contact lists so much, that the addressbook category has been ignored in software.

If you guys ever get a chance to try out the Cardscan software, it is ALMOST the perfect addressbook software.  The only problem with them is that it is only meant to be used with their card scanning hardware.  And you can't try demo of it out.  It can store pictures, but only if it was scanned from their scanner, ie you can't just add pictures you already have.  But it has the search-as-you-type feature that I love, and it has all the fields you can imagine, and customizable fields.  It doesn't have the sophisticated relationship feature that I mentioned in my other thread, where you can share information between contacts that live in the same house, etc.  But no program I've seen has that.

Have I talked enough about something no one cares about?  Ok, I'll stop now...

Redhat:
Hmm, you have me interested, superboyac. As a hobby-developer, I think I might just take your idea on.

I am only (half) proficient in C# though, but the latest 2.0 version I feel is much smoother than the previous one. If you'd like me to start on it in C#, just give me the nod  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version