ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Replace Windows Explorer [SOLUTION]

<< < (6/10) > >>

Darwin:
The split process model is smart, since it ensures your shell wont crash if an explorer.exe browsing your filesystem crashes (usually because of a third-party plugin).
-f0dder (December 29, 2007, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been running windows like that for some time and disabled it last week to check out what XPMyths has to say about it: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html#Optimization (ctrl-f "launch folders in a separate process" will take you there).

I can report that I get a lot more crashes without it than I did with it, so am going to re-enable it now  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Don't put absolute faith in that XPMyths site... but I believe that was already discussed here. *cough*.

Darwin:
Yes, I recall that thread well! Anyway, you're right about not putting absolute faith in XPMyths, as my own experience with "launch folders in a separate process" illustrates!

Tom - you probably don't have "launch folders in a separate process" enabled as it's not a default setting. I recommend that you DO enable it! Go to Windows Explorer and select the tools drop down menu then Folder Options. Select the view tab and you'll find it there.

Darwin:
PS Tom - I recommend that you do the above because you're running Dopus 8, as I recall? I'm pretty sure that GPSoft recommends that you do this as well...

Lashiec:
Reality: Even if Windows XP is a stable operating system, the peace of mind will cost you a mere 8-10 MB, released as soon as you exit any explorer window.

I'll try typing that secret phase in Notepad, never bothered to do so 'til now ;D

EDIT: Ow, a "piece of mind" is running cheap these days ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version