Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 22, 2014, 05:16:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Easy photo editor  (Read 10407 times)
Babis
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:58:41 AM »

Hello. I was using "Microsoft Digital Image Pro" for many years, which mainly consisted from latest version of PictureIt! and a nice photo gallery. Now the product has been discontinued for more than a year and many of its features are included in some vista versions.

I am looking for a similar simple but powerful photo editor for basic digital image tasks, like crop, resize, change hue, saturation, fix red eye etc

The program that I am looking for should be easy and not to have to go through books to learn even the basic functions, so it has to be other than photoshop/paint shop pro.

I am currently trialling Ulead's Photoimpact, but I am looking for others, thanks for any suggestions
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:25:48 AM »

yet another image/photo editor and batch processor
a very depreciating title to a software announcement but it sounds very good
disclaimer - I have it downloaded but not tried it yet smiley

Tom
suleika
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »

Many people find IrfanView very easy to get to know and use.  I used it as my photo editor for a long while, and I still use it as my default viewer.

You might like Picasa too - friendly interface and the basic tools are nicely designed GUI-wise.
Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »

thanks
Dirhael
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:01:44 AM »

It sounds to me like the freeware application Paint.NET might be just what you're looking for. It's powerful enough to do most of what you'd want to do with a photo, while at the same time being quite easy.

However, if all you want to do with your images is pretty much the things you've listed, I think your best option is FastStone Image Viewer. Image viewers/browsers/basic editors doesn't get much better than this Thmbsup

Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »

I support both of dishael's suggestions. For some intermidiate editing, paint.net is great, and i use faststone maxview as my image viewer, and it's just perfect!

Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

A quick update: I tried everything listed above in a snapshot of FirstDefense-ISR (except FastStone's maxview which I have set as default viewer long time ago - only thing I don't like is when I zoom-in it starts zooming from the center of the picture and not from where my cursor is, so I have to move the picture afterwards, if you know what I mean)

I must say I am impress with paint.net, I mean so small and so effective!!! I am facing some difficulties presently, like the clone tool seems not smooth at all and I miss some things from PictureIt!, like edge finder, blender etc, I will install it and on my default snapshot.
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »

I have always liked ulead photoimpact as an "easy" photo editor.

The edit mode of ACDSee also is nice to use - especially things like the hue/saturation/color and brightness tools are quite nice and easy to use with good results. I had acdsee for ages and never used the quick edit mode, then used it once or twice and it is great for quick image processing.
suleika
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »

I'm enjoying trying Faststone Image Viewer, on these recommendations.  I like it as a viewer, and I very much like its file resizing dialogue.  To be able to preview the quality and the size of the outputed file is very useful. 
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:27:53 AM »

to qualify what i say, it is actually acdsee 8/9 which had a very clever mini editor. The forums tell me that 10 doesnt fare so well. I dont know since I have acdsee 9 and acdsee pro 2 (totally different editor)

I have about 6 full blown graphics programs on my machine, and I have used a lot more, and yet the first time I tried the editor you get when you double click on an image in acdsee, cause I was lazy and just needed to tweak contrast, I was very impressed by the way they were doing it, and the quality of the results.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:32:22 AM by iphigenie » Logged
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 02:34:35 AM »

this came up in gHacks recently: Imagine. looks good but haven't tried it yet..

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 02:52:14 AM »

this came up in gHacks recently: Imagine. looks good but haven't tried it yet..

doesnt seem to be accessible/available at the moment (homepage or softpedia)

Tom
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 03:33:03 AM »

Try Picasa (desktop) or Picnik (online). Definately among the top of the bunch.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 07:07:16 AM »

that's strange, tomos because i can access the page with no problems at all.. anyway, try downloading the file to see if it works..

Windows stable version

Version 0.9.7.0 (20060907)
            http://www.nyam.pe.kr/dev/imagine/download/Imagine_0.9.7.0.zip (zip file)
            http://www.nyam.pe.kr/dev/imagine/download/setup/Imagine_0.9.7.0.EXE (EXE installer file)

http://www.nyam.pe.kr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

that's strange, tomos because i can access the page with no problems at all.. anyway, try downloading the file to see if it works..

hmmm, nor none of them work  undecided
wonder if this a personal thing or a european thang tellme
can someone else check those links in Lanux's post- I just get "not accessible"

I remember this being a problem before on a different computer for me- I couldnt access sites everyone else could (someone out there thought it was non-appropriate for me tongue) there was an explanationout there, will look up that (it was alaxnotes if i recall correctly)

Tom
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 07:45:05 AM »

@tomos

No problem accessing Imagine Website (a forum actually).
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 07:53:04 AM »

thanks Phil
@lanux - I had that problem before with a link you posted Grin

here was your helpful response:-
hmm.. looks like websites without the www prefix doesn't do well on your pc.. smiley reminds me of this thread here..

except now I can access the one I couldnt then, and now the one's I cant access have www prefix

I'm not going to loose any sleep over this...(repeat, repeat, repeat...)

Tom
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »

No problem accessing Imagine Website (a forum actually).

thanks PhilB66, i was beginning to wonder if it was merely my imagination.. tongue

scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »

Worked for me. There you go (sorry it took so long, crappy internutz Sad)

* Imagine_0.9.7.0.zip (470.67 KB - downloaded 216 times.)
* Imagine_0.9.7.0.EXE (473.89 KB - downloaded 169 times.)

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 08:00:27 AM »

thanks Phil
@lanux - I had that problem before with a link you posted Grin
except now I can access the one I couldnt then, and now the one's I cant access have www prefix

I'm not going to loose any sleep over this...(repeat, repeat, repeat...)

oh my! it's groundhog day! Grin but seriously do check some other websites ending .kr, .jp, .cn or .tw to see if all "Far East" connection is blocked as well.. smiley

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »

Worked for me. There you go (sorry it took so long, crappy internutz Sad)

wow! thanks scancode Thmbsup

will check out the "Far East" launx

Tom
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 08:34:14 AM »

lanux,
re the "Far East":

Tom
luc
Participant

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »

Easy photo editor  ?

My recommendation is Helicon Filter.  In contrast to most of the previous suggestions it is actually an image editor (and not mainly a browser) and it is specialized on photo optimization.
What makes it easy? It is the fantastic user interface and the layer-less workflow.  There is very little to learn. As a beginner just follow the "filter" tabs from left to right,  adjusting the image if needed.

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html
Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »

nice  Thmbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF