topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GridMove Grid Making Tutorial  (Read 103401 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GridMove Grid Making Tutorial
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 07:16 AM »
(and I didn't like the extra buttons)
Interesting.. That's the thing i like gridvista more than gridmove :)

btw. I've read that you're in the process of converting the existing hardcoded grids to
.grid files - do you by any chance need help with that?
Yes, i am.. IIRC, only 2 of them aren't yet .grid files, and the most work would be at code level, but yes, i'd appreciate some help with it :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:38 AM by jgpaiva »

excogitation

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Grids.rar - 2 Kb

Here's the 3-part Grid (and one I made)
the dualscreen grid will follow as soon as I find the time (tomorrow?).

Another thing I want to mention regarding the resizing behaviour:
You shouldn't be able to resize windows' without resize handle
(alerts, ...) (lower right corner).
Has this been discussed?

example:
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2928/30345964gx8.jpg
GridMove Grid Making Tutorial

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Thanks a lot, excogitation!

I've added the 3-part grid to the included grids. Could you add the custom grids to this post?
I really like the way you made those, large triggers and just the right divisions :)

About gridmove moving windows that it isn't supposed to:
This feature was added in a recent version (like 2 weeks ago or something), and it's called "safe mode". If you activate it, gridmove will only move windows that you are normally able to move.

PS: next time, you can host the images and files right here on DC, just by "attaching" them to your posts, it's better because everything gets hosted at DC and we won't depend on file-sharing sites and such ;)

excogitation

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 09:06 PM »
Ok, I'm back.

I must have mixed up the 3-part grid somehow - because now the 3-Part and 3-Part Reverse grids are identical  >:(
So I did it again.

I also converted the Dual-Screen grid, but maybe you have to make some minor adjustments, because I just guessed the
trigger area for the "1/3 full height" trigger to 1/60 of the screenwidth (I guess the original has some fixed width)

There are some things I wanted to share:
  • On this page you should post a link to irc://irc.servercentral.net/#donationcoder 
  • gridmove safe mode is not working with drag to edge (I don't know if that's intended)
  • drag with middle button clashes with other applications needing the middle-button
    (e.g. I use it to resize pictures in IE using middleclick+srollup-down)
    What about middleclick on title bar only?
  • with save mode on I can't resize some popups although they are resizable
    (indicated by the resize handle - see attachment (can't you check for that resize
    handle since it indicates (standard behaviour) a window being intended for resize)
  • how about moving settings to new tab in "settings" (about/help)
    instead of making the right-click menu bigger each time sth new gets added
  • when dragging the window to a trigger area holding the mousebutton, then
    rightclicking you can change templates - but only some - why?
    It would be cool if you got rid of the hardcoded templates, making this function
    switch through all .grid files, because then you could delete all unneded templates
    and switch through the ones you're actually using

One problem though. Sometimes the grids get messed up and you have to
    click reload so that problem that messes the grids up has to be solved first.
  • The trigger area should only work starting right of the titlebaricon ending left of the minimize button,
    but if you look at Resize.jpg and Grid.jpg you'll see what I mean
    This is also a problem when I'm trying to click on a button in Miranda... always messes up the size
    Maybe an undo last window in the rightclick menu?

That's about it for now.  :-[

Keep up the good work :Thmbsup:

(Hope you like my grid v0.2)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 05:17 AM »
On this page you should post a link to irc://irc.servercentral.net/#donationcoder
I think you'd better PM mouser about that ;)

gridmove safe mode is not working with drag to edge (I don't know if that's intended)
You mean that with safe mode enabled, you can move windows with drag to edge that you can't with drag on titlebar? I just tested it and can't..

drag with middle button clashes with other applications needing the middle-button
I know about that. But to be honest, it's way easier than drag on titlebar, and to have drag with middleclick on titlebar, it'd be almost the same as drag with left button on title. Thus, the best solution is to add the annoying window to the exceptions (present in the latest build)

with save mode on I can't resize some popups although they are resizable
(indicated by the resize handle - see attachment (can't you check for that resize
handle since it indicates (standard behaviour) a window being intended for resize)
Now that's strange... Is that a skinned window?
I can't improve the current detection (it even wasn't me who found how to do it!), but i suppose that's caused because someone is using a strnge, non-standard method for resizing windows :(

how about moving settings to new tab in "settings" (about/help)
I've made several atempts at doing this, but still haven't found the courage to complete it. I will someday. (making GUIs is a royal PITA)

when dragging the window to a trigger area holding the mousebutton, then
That's because there's a cooler way to do what you mentioned ;)
There's an option named "set grid order". That allows you to define which windows appear in that rotation :)

How messed up do they get? what happens exactly?

The trigger area should only work starting right of the titlebaricon ending left of the minimize button,
This is also a problem when I'm trying to click on a button in Miranda... always messes up the size
Sorry, but i don't see what you mean...
(there's a "last size" grid element that does that undo ;). You can find it in the edge grid template).

Thanks for the grids!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 05:19 AM by jgpaiva »

excogitation

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 06:28 AM »
gridmove safe mode is not working with drag to edge (I don't know if that's intended)
You mean that with safe mode enabled, you can move windows with drag to edge that you can't with drag on titlebar? I just tested it and can't..
Latest build seems to have fixed that - at least now it doesn't do that anymore.

drag with middle button clashes with other applications needing the middle-button
I know about that. But to be honest, it's way easier than drag on titlebar, and to have drag with middleclick on titlebar, it'd be almost the same as drag with left button on title. Thus, the best solution is to add the annoying window to the exceptions (present in the latest build)
Yeah - but ... but ... I don't know of a better solution  :(

with save mode on I can't resize some popups although they are resizable
Now that's strange... Is that a skinned window?
I can't improve the current detection (it even wasn't me who found how to do it!), but i suppose that's caused because someone is using a strnge, non-standard method for resizing windows :(
I'll make screenshots if it happens again.

how about moving settings to new tab in "settings" (about/help)
I've made several atempts at doing this, but still haven't found the courage to complete it. I will someday. (making GUIs is a royal PITA)
With Visual Studio it's done in a few minutes.

when dragging the window to a trigger area holding the mousebutton, then
That's because there's a cooler way to do what you mentioned ;)
There's an option named "set grid order". That allows you to define which windows appear in that rotation :)
Yeah, seen that option - but didn't bring it into context (now I feel stupid). So that's that then.

How messed up do they get? what happens exactly?
See attached pics.

The trigger area should only work starting right of the titlebaricon ending left of the minimize button,
Sorry, but i don't see what you mean...
(there's a "last size" grid element that does that undo ;). You can find it in the edge grid template).
If you look at the small pic "Resize.jpg" I'm just about to click the resize (enlarge?) button
(therefore "Vergrößern" as popupinfo) - and ind "Grid.jpg" you can see that that (because the
button is within the 100px) this activates the grid and the window is resized according to
the trigger area the window was in at the moment.

Thanks for the grids!!
You're welcome.
If you can't give money - at least you should try to give sth back by participating.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:31 AM by excogitation »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 07:15 AM »
Ok... That thing with the grids definitelly isn't good.
Now, what i find really strange is that the grid is only made once and never more touched... I really don't know what that is, but i'll take a look at the code.

I know making GUIs with VS is really easy, but VS doesn't work with the language i'm using (www.autohotkey.com) ;)

Now i understand the thing about the resize. What i really find strange is that there's code to prevent that. Probably it isn't working correctly!

excogitation

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Seen this: create GUI's easy?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 08:29 AM »
 ;D Now that's funny, i had never seen anything like it :)

iskander71

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56 AM »
Hello guys, thank you for helping people !!
Personnally I am too much newbeet and english is not my maternal language, but I want to learn !!!

Ihave to say that it seems that I understand the principe, whatt I understood is a gridmove is something like stakdocklet...that' s it ??

But now I have done one, how do I use it pleaze ? I know my question is stupid for all of you, but I don' t understant all words, and especially technical words, so !!

Well I hope someone will help e, I really want to learn that, I am doing a tutorial(video) about circledock but I'm seeing that I am far to be able to do that !! lol

So HELP ME please !!!!

Iskander71 from France, Bourgogne (71).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Hi Iskander71.

You have to place the new gird you made (you may call it "newgrid.grid") at gridmove's grid folder, which should be at C:\Programs\Gridmove\Grids\
Then, You may start Gridmove and select "newgrid.grid" from the "templates" menu (right-click the blue gridmove icon to find the menu).

Hadden89

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Great tool  8)
I'm encountering a strange "bug".
If I press the right mouse button (instead of left) it gives me error in opening grid (which works and worked) then it reset (happen on default grid too).
Error Code:001
:huh:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:53 AM by Hadden89 »