topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: White Smoke 70% off  (Read 55272 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
White Smoke 70% off
« on: December 26, 2007, 06:36 PM »
White Smoke is quite often if not always discounted, but this is the lowest offer I have yet recieved: $100 for these special parts of the large program ~ against their "normal" price $333. The math looks like this according to their advert (does this link refer to my email address?):

General Writing version, normal $ 80
Buisness Writing version, normal $100
Creative writing version, normal $100
Multi-Language Translator, normal $40
Back-up license, normal price $13
-------------------------------------
Total price normal:                    $333
- rebate                                  $233
-------------------------------------
Offer until December 31:            $100

Edit:
However, I am not too sure what is the exact meaning of the headline in the email: "2007 clearance". Does it mean that it is some old "2007" version they are trying to sell to me, so I have to pay big money to upgrade to version 2008? Or is it merely that they want to clean 'something' out before 2008? I am not sure yet, so I am writing to ask them, but I wouldn't hold back the offer meanwhile in case you would like to know about it. I hope to recieve their answer this year... and will of course report back. See next post >

742x629, 95KB gif:
WhiteSmoke70percentoff.gifWhite Smoke 70% off

http://www.web-view....2CEA94FCDCDA4685.htm
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:40 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: White Smoke 70% off
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Thank you for your inquiry. The "2007 Clearance" is an offer made for our new WhiteSmoke 2008.
-White Smoke Support Team
:up:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:41 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Wow! That's generous. Now... what does it do then?! OK, OK, off to Google it now  :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Well, White Smoke is "English Grammar & Writing Software" for people like me who are not too sure how to say it ("write it") in English:

>> Grammar check (over 65,000 corrections) + Text enrichment (relevant adjectives and adverbs) + Spell check (over 420,000 entries) + Proofreading tool in one click! + Thesaurus (synonyms to expand your vocabulary) + Writing templates (over 600 available) + Advanced Dictionary & Translator + Artificial Intelligence Technology. <<

... what does it do then?! OK, OK, off to Google ..

Funny you should mention Google (se *3 in the quotation box)!

Here are three ways to use 'WhiteSmoke':

1. When using WhiteSmoke with 'MS Word' or 'Outlook' simply type your sentence and click on the 'Enrichment' button and the WhiteSmoke program will appear - ready for use.

2. With any other software you have the benefit of a short-cut key to WhiteSmoke (The default is F2 ). To change this key, right click on the Pencil icon that appears on your system-tray (next to the clock) and then on the button called 'Settings'.

In order to type straight onto the program 'WhiteSmoke':
  a) Right click on the Pencil icon that appears on your taskbar (next to the clock).
  b) Click on 'How to use (F2)'.
  c) Select the tab 'Online Editor'.

3. Now you can use WhiteSmoke with Google! (You need to have Google account). In your Personalized homepage click on 'Add content', type 'Whitesmoke'  and press 'Search homepage content', Click on 'add it now', click 'ok', and then click on 'back to homepage', that's it! (You don't need to install WhiteSmoke in order to use The Google version of WhiteSmoke).

Sincerely,
WhiteSmoke Team
-How To Use White Smoke. Part 1

www.whitesmoke.com/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:44 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:44 AM »
I only need to say that the $100 price is with VAT included - or more precisely: the word "VAT" is never mentioned, so the price is $100 whether you should pay VAT or not.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:05 AM »
3. Now you can use WhiteSmoke with Google! (You need to have Google account). In your Personalized homepage click on 'Add content', type 'Whitesmoke'  and press 'Search homepage content', Click on 'add it now', click 'ok', and then click on 'back to homepage', that's it! (You don't need to install WhiteSmoke in order to use The Google version of WhiteSmoke).

-How To Use White Smoke. Part 1

has anyone tried option #3? i've looked all over the google site but not sure which one leads to online WhiteSmoke editor..

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 02:13 AM »
Both Yes and No

I've found the way to do it, but so far not the right whitesmoke to add (there are several):

g1.gifWhite Smoke 70% off

- or maybe I did it the wrong way, and that is why it yet doesn't work for me?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:11 AM by Curt »

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:31 AM »
WhiteSmoke what a name..  :D (for teaching, english related stufff.. smoke! run! cancer! 2nd hand!)
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:04 AM by mitzevo »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Both Yes and No

I've found the way to do it, but so far not the right whitesmoke to add (there are several):
 (see attachment in previous post)
- or maybe I did it the wrong way, and that is why it yet doesn't work for me?

thanks for the help, Curt but still it doesn't appear for me.. maybe i'll lurk a bit in the google's group & find out.. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 07:59 PM »
ok, found it! it's part of iGoogle but it seems to have garnered only negative comments..

http://www.google.co...ts/google_client.xml

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08 AM »
Yes, bad comments only; this is clearly not the full program but merely the "enrichment" part.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:21 AM »
they are creating bad publicity for themselves by throwing in a sub-standard just to be noticed. i wonder if the full version is vastly superior to this.. :-\

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:09 AM »
i wonder if the full version is vastly superior to this..

Oh yes it is (I have it, which is why I didn't check the iGoogle version before telling about it). But it is also at a quite different price...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:02 PM »
the price is quite a stumbling block but i'll be keeping an eye on this program.. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 02:05 AM »
You just keep an eye - in a distance... White Smoke is a little too intrusive, meaning that I seldom agree with the suggestions it comes up with - and this to such a degree that I have removed it from start!

BTW: most of the commenters on GAOTD did not understand the purpose of White Smoke - it is not a spell-checker, regardsless of what the ads might be saying.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 04:34 AM »
They are in the field again, this time with an even better offer, in co-operation with PC Tools:

click thumb:
wsmoke.gifWhite Smoke 70% off

SBogols

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 06:06 AM »
I have loved using Whitesmoke as a writing tool - not only as a spellchecker, but as an extra set of "eyes" that reads over my writing and makes sure I don't make any major grammatical errors.  It's funny, my son asked me about the program because one of his teachers suggested it at school, and I've found it to be helpful in my personal writing that I do from home.  Two satisfied customers here!  ;)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54 AM »
Whitesmoke.com is running a Super Bowl Sunday Special. They are claiming it is a 75% off sale, but it really is is a buy it at full price and get a bunch of free stuff sale.

Whitesmoke_Superbowl_1.pngWhite Smoke 70% off
Whitesmoke_Superbowl_2.pngWhite Smoke 70% off

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Whitesmoke.com is running a Super Bowl Sunday Special. They are claiming it is a 75% off sale, but it really is is a buy it at full price and get a bunch of free stuff sale.
They've been running this sale for at least the past five days (and perhaps for a lot longer--I just happened to have gone to their site on several of the last five days).  Each day, their website has a banner ad announcing the sale and claiming it's for that day only  :D .

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 08:42 AM »
White Smoke is a little too intrusive, meaning that I seldom agree with the suggestions it comes up with - and this to such a degree that I have removed it from start!
I agree.  I had occasion to try this software not long ago, and though it identified some errors correctly, it sugggested changes for perfectly correct statements that made them incorrect, sometimes ludicrously so.  I found it too unreliable to use or recommend.  :down:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38 PM »
I own a license for WhiteSmoke 2008 upgraded to 2009. However, I would never place it in start - in general it really is too intrusive, as noted, and as also pointed out, sometimes even when it shouldn't intrude at all.

"Today's" offer is not expensive, but costly:

(clickable thumb):

whitesmoke2009-02-01.gifWhite Smoke 70% off

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 01:54 PM »
It should be stated that a license is per machine, and you will have to ask WhiteSmoke to transfer any license.

Mark L.

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 09:49 AM »
 :Thmbsup:Whitesmoke has taken care of tons of annoying little grammar probs I kept having. SOmetimes it tells you to do things that make correct sentences sound awkward, but its usually so obvious when the system makes a mistake like that that u can easily ignore it.  THe times that it does help, it REALLY helps, so for me its worth the other times.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 02:40 PM »
As some people here mentioned, it looks like they are just blowing white smoke up your @$$. They continue to have the 75% off sale every day. The banner changes as to why there is a 75% off sale, but every day there is a 75% off sale. I think they need to eat their own dog food and put their own website through their software and I am sure that it will suggest that a sale that goes on day after day really isn't a sale.

So, the lesson here is that they regularly sell their stuff at 75% off, so don't let that be a contributing factor to your purchase decision.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30 PM »
AI think they need to eat their own dog food and put their own website through their software and I am sure that it will suggest that a sale that goes on day after day really isn't a sale.