topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: White Smoke 70% off  (Read 55259 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: White Smoke 70% off
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 03:44 PM »
So, the lesson here is that they regularly sell their stuff at 75% off, so don't let that be a contributing factor to your purchase decision.
I've found their software to be as trustworthy as their daily "Last Day!!" sale announcement.   The software creates so many errors that I'd say it's overpriced even at 75% off.  :down:

Cindy Marks

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 02:02 PM »
 :Thmbsup:

I don't relaly care too much about whtas considered a sale and whats not. When I thought about buying whitesmoke, the price was within my target and so i got it.  What works works, and whitesmoke works -just try to use the grammar check on microsoft word and see for yourself - it just does NOT catch a lot. Now that I use whitesmoke (the creative writing version), i am more confident that my grammar is corrected. So sale or not, its a decent price considering how much mor eit does than Word.

Mark L.

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 05:08 AM »
I just love this software.
It has saved me hours on hours of editing. As you gather, I am a writer and am so enjoying having WhiteSmoke on line as I work.
It has Templates that I am using often, as there are many choices for many a subject.
I have to say that on the odd occasion that I have needed their support, they were "spot on" with their answers to my questions and on the one occasion when I queried a price, wanting to purchase a second license, they returned my cal within a few hours.
I think that most companies have special offers, and we should not downplay the special offers they make.
Good luck to you who start using the software. I hope you benefit like I do.

[/quote]

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 06:49 AM »
- yes, I too are happy with mine white smokes. It have safed my writing totallity.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 02:27 PM »
I've already expressed my very negative impression of White Smoke.  I might just add that the Neat Net Tricks software panel reviewed WhiteSmoke earlier this year.  Of the six panelists, four said that they would NOT continue to use the software.  One added, "In years of reviewing programs for Neat Net Tricks, I am hard-pressed to recall a program I have been dissatisfied with on so many levels."  The entire review can be found here.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 02:33 PM »
I notice that there are several 1 and 2 posters (that post only in this thread) that tout the quality of WhiteSmoke...

Things that make you go 'hmmm...'

Mark L.

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Not sure what you are all discussing above.  I have purchased and downloaded the software, and am enjoying the results I am seeing. Correct spelling, enhanced sentences, corrected grammar and lots of tips on English and lessons. The templates that are built in are useful and easy to use.
I just love the program and use it all the time, by pressing the F2 button. So easy.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Can we lock this thread?  And move it to the spammers forum?  (I know- circumstantial evidence.  But really...)

ropt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 09:08 PM »
hi there,

White Smoke == WinterTree Grammar checker and WinterTree spell checker.

the filenames are the same as if you downloaded from WinterTree's website.

I can defend above the statement above because I have a friend who has
WhiteSmoke, and it's very interesting that they do not even have a trial or
anything to try before you buy.

also, if you right click and see version properties on WhiteSmoke's files,
they are WinterTree grammar checker files.

URL is:
http://www.wintertre.../wgrammar/index.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:15 PM by ropt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Today I was offered to upgrade to version 2011. When following the link, I was made a new and even better offer: The entire package ("Executive") for $139, normal price $299. However, that is usually for a "year-model" version; this offer was for a lifetime key! I clicked 'buy' and waited at their store (I have come to know these people!), and, yes, after a while, a "real-time chat" box came up and asked if they could help me. I bargained, and now I have a lifetime license for the entire enchilada, for $100!!! I am so happy, never again will I have to pay for these microscopic improvements they add, in order to make you purchase an upgrade, in the best worst Ashampoo style ;-)

My offer ends 15/12/2010, but you never know... Be sure to chat!

Executive Writing Version 2011 (Life Time!)  The WhiteSmoke Executive Writing Version is for the corporate business or management professional who needs a whole suite of professional writing tools for quick and accurate document creation. With the most advanced grammar, spelling and punctuation correction available, and a text enrichment engin. The Complete package of WhiteSmoke Software, includes all writing profiles: General, Business, Creative, Medical, Legal, Hi Tech and the Multi Lingual Dictionary and Translator. Bonus - 600 prepared templates for any writing style.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:57 PM by Curt »

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 04:11 AM »
i was given a license, kk whitesmoke works pretty well.
but how is their credibility? i wonder cuze they sure have a lot of fixed/variable offers.

ie:
site:buy.whitesmoke.com "offer ends"

https://buy.whitesmoke.com/scs/
https://buy.whitesmoke.com/triml/ "899 -> 125" "+3 extra licenses"

etc etc

so with the first purchase you now upgraded for $100.00, your first purchase excl? total?
and maybe next year it's the extended executive writing version being offered at special price.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:19 AM by Bionic71 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 12:28 PM »
, but you never know... Be sure to chat!

-and today, making it $50 (instead of $100):

Thank you for your email.

We have refunded 50% of you purchase price.

Sincerely,
WhiteSmoke Billing Department
-email from WhiteSmoke

:)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:30 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 05:00 PM »
..., and it's very interesting that they do not even have a trial or anything to try before you buy.

!icon_question.gif

Trial Version

2010-12-19_235259.GIF

Besides, WGrammar hasn't been updated for more than 4 years. MAYBE WhiteSmoke purchased a license? Well, I don't know, because I didn't care to check your accusations, for the simple reason that WhiteSmoke is being constantly updated and improved, and WGrammar is not.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Hey Curt:

Not questioning your opinion of the product or your satusfaction with WhiteSmoke.

But I've become incredibly skeptical of "lifetime" licenses. Because there is no generally understood legal definition of what constitutes a product's lifetime. Is it: Yours? Theirs? The OS version it's currently running on? Until they decide to rename their product, pretend it's something totally new, and discontinue the "old" one along with its lifetime license? This last one is an increasingly popular dodge.

Is this illegal? No. Because, right now, it's pretty much up to the company that offered the deal to say how it works.

I've seen enough people get burned on upgrade terms in the last few years (often by otherwise reputable companies) that I have trouble believing in any "lifetime" licensing deal.

Wishing you the best. And very much hoping I'm completely wrong being so skeptical.  :)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:32 PM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 03:42 AM »
Not questioning your opinion of the product or your satisfaction with WhiteSmoke.

:tellme:

I don't like WhiteSmoke that much, in fact I don't use it. WhiteSmoke is acting as if A$hampoo is their idol, which pretty much is bad... but as it is with Ashampoo, there are things disappointing you, but in all the bill seems acceptable. For 3 years I have been upgrading WhiteSmoke major versions, and was getting mildly annoyed with the expense, but now I finally have a so-called lifetime license key for the program, and I don't think it was too expensive... Take that, Ashampoo! Regarding WhiteSmoke's methods, well, I assume the people behind WhiteSmoke are Russians... even if their address is in America... You may take it from there/here...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 05:40 AM »
Regarding WhiteSmoke's methods, well, I assume the people behind WhiteSmoke are Russians... even if their address is in America... You may take it from there/here...

@Curt: Umm...ok...

We've got pretty much all Russian/Lithuanian on my father's side of the family, so I guess I know what you mean.  

Old Russian proverb: They'll hang a thief for stealing pennies; but appoint him to high office if he steals a fortune. :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:08 PM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:21 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 05:03 PM »
WhiteSmoke and Babylon may very well be owned by the same people. At the same time they both offered lifetime licenses, and then kept quiet! I will be surprised if we ever hear from either of them again.

Diegoz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Consultor SEO Google. Posicionamiento Buscadores
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17 AM »
I think they need to eat their own dog food.

I agree.

Look, I consider my duty to warm you all about this company. Just as an example, here you have the kind words from a representative when I kindly requested information about the update prices (using their unsolicited pop-up chat):

• Me: No XXXX. The product price range is above my expectations (I got it very cheap).
  • Me: Anyhow, thanks XXXX. I have to leave.
  • Representative: My name is YYYY, and you purchased a 1 year license for $125.00 (Yes, I made a slight mistake with his name)
  • Representative: Thanks for being a colossal waste of time

After that, he closed the chat session.

So, in his opinion, I'm a colossal waste of time!!!. Just for 5 minutes of his time. Incredible.

He only wanted to make the sale and thought that I should be stupid. BTW: The update offer "as a gesture of good will" was higher that the listed price.

In addition to this:

- They use to spam.
- I have serious doubts about feature improvements but have to update to use a software I paid for $125.

I have informed them about my intentions to prevent people from using their software.

That's my experience as a customer and my advice.

All the best
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:36 AM by Diegoz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 01:52 AM »
"White Smoke" as in "Marketing Puff"?

Try this superb tool as a possible alternative.
You can have a free trial and they can be incredibly helpful if you want to extend the trial: Pathagoras

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 02:47 AM »

You can have a free trial and they can be incredibly helpful if you want to extend the trial: Pathagoras

@IanB - Pathagoras looks like an interesting albeit very special purpose tool. If you're familiar with it, would it be possible for you to post a mini-review? :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 04:54 AM »
@40hz: Sorry, but I'm not really qualified to post a mini-review. It's been about 3 years since I last trialled it. I'm not sure whether I'm likely to be needing to use it again for some time.

Diegoz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 05:59 AM »

Pathagoras

Thanks for the advice. Pathagoras seems to be useful for productivity purposes, specially when working with forms and when having to repeat documents again and again (like forms based on templates). The price per user (seat) is $379

Anyhow, it's not intended to provide advice regarding style and corrections while writing. Any other alternative?

All the best,
Diego
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:29 AM by Diegoz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 06:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Pathagoras seems useful for productivity purposes, specially when working with forms and having to repeat documents documents again and again based on templates. Price per user (seat) = $379

Anyhow, it's not intended to provide advice regarding style and corrections while writing. Any other alternative?

Not really.
I am assuming that you are using MS Word (that's what Pathagoras uses). If you switch on all the grammar checking in addition to spelling checks, then Word does a very good job of parsing your writing for potential mistakes (e.g., use of first person singular if you are writing textbook material).

Diegoz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Not really.
Word does a very good job of parsing your writing for potential mistakes

Yes, you're partially right. Word is good for spell & grammar checking but what I need is a tool like White Smoke (but better) to improve my language skills. For example, alternatives to compose sentences and style suggestions, synonyms, ways to start or finish a letter and things like that. In addition, it would be advisable if it could detect the language I'm using to auto-disable when writing in other language than English.