topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: More on Super Flexible File Synchronizer; Updates Anyone?  (Read 28185 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: More on Super Flexible File Synchronizer; Updates Anyone?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Hey Darwin!  Yeah, I saw that, but it doesn't show the things I was asking about.
[/quote]

Oh, a stickler for detail, eh  :D? Details, deshmails, I say  :P

I was about to start grabbing screenshots for you when I noticed that you've installed the beta  :Thmbsup:

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I think he gets a lot of e-mail regarding queries about functionality that already exists, therefore he's taken steps to make functionaltiy more accessible. Which hopefully will be a good thing as I think I don't use 80% of the features because I'm not sure if I need it or how it impacts.
I bet he does too. I like to think of myself as an advanced software user guy, but the interface of SFFS is quite confusing. I too think there's probably options in there that I would want to use, but of which I'm not aware.
From what you told me, it is still the internal scheduler where SFFS must stay running, plus you cannot do anything within SFFS unless you stop the scheduler. (Worst config I've ever seen for a scheduler in an application!!)

Or the "Extreme Sync" service. No comment on that.  But no use of the Windows Task Scheduler in this version. Doesn't sound like much changed at all, except some GUI changes which just have you use more views to accomplish the same things.
Personally, I'm glad he's not using the Task Scheduler... I'm on Vista 64 and the Extreme Sync service works perfectly, I have a few backups scheduled to run at 5:00 am, if I'm on the computer at 5 they run, if it's off they run the next time I start the computer. I also have a backup setup to run every time I shut down the computer, this also always works.

Not being able to use the program without stopping the scheduler is dumb in my opinion too, but it's something I can live with. I can't imagine that will be the case once V4 comes out though.

In fact, the thing works so well I haven't updated for months; I'm still using 3.67.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 12:34 PM »
I'm debating whether to pay for an upgrade to version 4. Anybody got any comments on their experience?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 02:04 PM »
I'm debating whether to pay for an upgrade to version 4. Anybody got any comments on their experience?

Here's mine, though unrelated to performance.
I recalled Tobias offering a free upgrade to 4 somewhere on DonationCoder...

I am the developer of Superflexible. It is true that in the current version, it takes a bit of hand work to make it auto-start with Windows. This will be made much easier in version 4.0. I hereby promise a free 4.0 upgrade to anybody who reads this. Just send me an email when you need the updated registration code.

...so I emailed him to ask about it. His response was rewarding.

FWIW I prefer the layout in 4, though I see that some do not.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 08:40 PM »
I'm one of the nay-sayers to the new layout in version 4. After three months or so of near daily usage, I can't imagine going back to version 3 (not that I didn't like version 3, mind you!). I've had no trouble with it and depend on it.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 09:10 PM »
I email Tobias and explained that I haven't been using SFFS much because of the v3 interface and that I wanted to take him up on the offer cranioscopical quoted, and Tobias send me a v4 registration.

Thank you Tobias.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24 PM »
I email Tobias and explained that I haven't been using SFFS much because of the v3 interface and that I wanted to take him up on the offer cranioscopical quoted, and Tobias send me a v4 registration.

Thank you Tobias.

Wow TJ, Wow and CRAP!

I'll never be special enough for things like that to happen to me. :P

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Ken - of COURSE you're special enough for that kind of thing to happen to you!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43 AM »
TJ and anyone else here at DC:

Here's the link with Tobias's promise of V 4 upgrades.   :)

Jim

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 12:03 PM »
I'm a new user. Never used v3 before. I felt quite at home with v4 from the start, and paid for it after a couple of days. Sure, there are almost too many options, and I had to go to help to learn what many of them actually does. But it's flexible and reliable. It runs non-stop in the background at all time on my system, and never causes any problem.

Another plus, Tobias is extremely fast at attacking bugs. Report one and it's fixed in a day in my experience (several times now). Amazing!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Thanks for providing the link to the free upgrade post, Jim. I wasn't sure if I should post it or not, but was too shattered to go looking for it and actually make the decision (passed out after making the post for a blissful 9 hour sleep  :-[)!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22 PM »
Thanks for providing the link to the free upgrade post, Jim. I wasn't sure if I should post it or not, but was too shattered to go looking for it and actually make the decision (passed out after making the post for a blissful 9 hour sleep  :-[)!

Well, Tobias was pretty open about it at the time.  I can't see why it would be upsetting -- it's not like I am posting it outside of DC or anything.  Heck, it might even get him some sales to new users!

Jim

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Ken - of COURSE you're special enough for that kind of thing to happen to you!

Cool! Thanks Darwin. I had no idea.
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546