topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Ideas to make DC even better  (Read 22862 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ideas to make DC even better
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 07:30 AM »
People should donate rather than click on ads.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 09:22 AM »
What do you call those intervals between TV programming that tout products and services?   :)
-cranioscopical (December 26, 2007, 11:40 PM)

Apples and oranges.

Just because a website shows ads, imo, doesn't make it a commercial website - Google Ads is just not the same as seeking out corporate sponsors.  Its just now how it works in the web world.  Ads are not seen as selling out, or turning commercial, or in most cases making a profit, they are more widely accepted as part of a website offering suggestions for website that may interest you based on what you are viewing.

Commercial websites are not a black-white thing.

Also, something we should clear up.  I never said DC should run ads to make a profit.  My mention of Ads was so DC would have more capital to put back into growing DC, running contests, supporting development projects and 100's of more things that take capital to do.

I'm pretty confident in saying that if DC had more capital more exciting and new things would be done.  DC's bottleneck (not saying there is a bottleneck but it gets the idea across) is not drive, vision or commitment, its capital.

(no worries about the discussions.  I have no issue with someone else having an opinion opposite of mine)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:08 AM by Veign »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 09:44 AM »
bit of confusion in your post there Veign - your reply looks like a quote from cranioscopical...
Tom

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 10:08 AM »
Oops. Fixed...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 05:54 AM »
I think #1 is a good idea, and it might even give some of our retired members a hobby in programming or something like that.

As for #2, i don't have a position as strong as cranioscopical, but i think i also stand more on the "ads go against donationcoder's spirit" side of the river.
I find the ads on posts a bit too intrusive, and they'd go against the "donationcoder is a site interly funded by private donations" kind of spirit.

In no way i'm saying you should stop this kind of suggestions, veign, some help in the way of having DC paying mouser's studies is definitelly cool!!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I wonder if a solution like this would be ideal.

Ads would support the site, and mouser, so he could work on the site full time. The donation system would be applicable for everyone else. Just a quick idea I had this morning.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 02:47 AM »
i think we should keep the place special right now and free of ads.  some other time we can consider it again.

all things considered, i'd rather have more help running the site than more money from ads.  there is just so much administrative stuff to do that it leaves me less time for coding..

veign is right that there are many wonderful ways the site could get better and do more stuff but that we are reaching the boundry of what we can do without more of an influx of something.  right now the bottleneck is really time.  money is just a substitute for that since with more money coming in, it's possible to devote more time to DC.  but i'd give my right arm for someone to really jump into the site and help run things and let me concentrate on coding.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 02:52 AM »
This thread shouldn't be about helping any one person on the site.

The absolutely best thing you could do to help the site, is to figure out something you can do without needing my help, that would add to the community here, that would improve the site in some way.