topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

dark or light background for programming?

Dark
17 (29.3%)
light
33 (56.9%)
I alternate
4 (6.9%)
I spend hours configuring my editor colors and change them with moon cycles
3 (5.2%)
What's a text editor?
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Last post Author Topic: Do you use a light or a dark background in your editor for programming?  (Read 29733 times)

hollowlife1987

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've always used the default colors for all my programs, which happens to normally be dark on light.
But I do want to try out the light on dark scheme sometime.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The theme I'm showing in my screenshot is the one I've been using for the last year or so, and it has served me very well so far :)

What editor is that; I don't recognize it...

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
The theme I'm showing in my screenshot is the one I've been using for the last year or so, and it has served me very well so far :)

What editor is that; I don't recognize it...

It's a fairly new (out of beta some months ago) editor called E. Great editor for my use :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!  I actually already had a link to that editor, but had never gotten around to it.  I guess now I will!  Though truthfully, I don't need more editors (or software!) to try... I might need to borrow your avatar! LOL!

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Light, on Windows / Mac, let's say in any GUI environment.
In the DOS days, it was light gray (that is, dark white) on blue.

skyler

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tested out the light yellow color as a background, and I have to say it is nice improvement over the standard white.  thanks for the suggestion!  for some reason I've never really liked a dark background.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I usually use the editor default [colors], and If I'm lucky enough to config colors I ... hey wait I don't.

When I was trying out E I noticed the default (iirc) color scheme was black bg and different colors (or perhaps I changed to this one..). At first it was unusual, but then after trying it for a while I realized it makes editing files so much easier (very much like to do with the syntax hi-lighting), for example you go to edit a .ini file in E, it's so easy to tell sections and variables from stuff you don't need to concern your self with.. So I think colors definitely help if set up correctly :)

So.. some people use dark and light, or light on dark. I myself haven't joined any side yet :P

:'(
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:40 AM by mitzevo »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dark colored text with a white background for text editing definitely. However I also work at the command prompt extensively and can not function if it is not the (default) Exact opposite, white/gray text on black background. Which (as I think of it now...) doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Anybody else share that hangup?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I still think it was a mistake moving to black-on-white as a default, there's even a noticeable difference in CRT monitor power consumption... although it's not as much as some people claim, just a few Watts on my old 19" samsung.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I still think it was a mistake moving to black-on-white as a default, there's even a noticeable difference in CRT monitor power consumption... although it's not as much as some people claim, just a few Watts on my old 19" samsung.

Simple economics I suspect. In the DOS days computers were (had a) dark, ominous, and threatening interface that required cryptic commands that confused "normal" people. So MonkeySwift had to come up with a lighter (hearted looking), brighter, friendlier user interface that would lure folks out of (or into depending on you perspective...) the "shadows" to try this new, unique, and graphical ... way to play solitare... *Sigh*

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using the most awesome Boxer Text Editor with colors as orginally* intended.

boxerscrn.jpgDo you use a light or a dark background in your editor for programming?

* See Turbo Pascal 3.0  ;D
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
light
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 03:18 PM »
 :)... and  don't use blinking text anymore now that I've replaced my Hercules graphics card.