ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use a light or a dark background in your editor for programming?

(1/8) > >>

urlwolf:
Vote please...

J-Mac:
I definitely prefer black text on a white background, or at least something similar - very dark on very light!

I do think the dark backgrounds look really nice, but I just find that over a period of time - especially if I am working on something for hours on end - the light background with dark text is easier on my eyes.

That said, for some reason, way back in my WordPerfect 5.1 days, their standard white text on a medium blue background was kind of easy on my eyes also.  Supposedly, IIRC at that time, Corel had researched the eyestrain caused by looking at a monitor all day long and determined that the white on blue was the best.  However I never saw anything to back that up, so it may have been hogwash!

Of course the monitors we were staring at back then were a lot tougher in general to look at for long periods. I don't think they had the refresh rate that they do today.

Jim

tinjaw:
Mostly because it is the default. Although I sometimes make is a slight shade of gray. However, I imagine using light on a dark background is better for your eyes and have often wanted to try it for an extended period of time to see if it is, but I never seem to get around to actually trying it.

lanux128:
for me it's always black on white (background), any other way would blind me.. :)

lanux128:
I spend hours configuring my editor colors and change them with moon cycles
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version