ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

2007: My 'Best of' list

(1/4) > >>

nosh:
Best movie seen:
Grave of the Fireflies (Hotaru no haka)
2007: My 'Best of' list
I watch a LOT of movies and would hardly rate any over an 8. I give 'Grave' a full 10 without any hesitation. It's a work of dedication and genius and is undoubtedly THE most powerful movie I've seen. I'm generally considered a cold b*****d by most people who know me but I feel no shame in admitting I had tears streaming down my face the first time I saw it. It still haunts me and I still choke up whenever I go back to watch a scene or two. Highly recommended if you don't mind seeing something beautiful but not necessarily upbeat.
(I'm referring to the 1988 animated version, Japanese audio with English subs )

Best book read:
I'm not much of a reader, and I certainly wasn't in 2007. My pick for this year is Frederick Forsyth's The Afghan. Not the greatest book I've read by far but a page-turned nonetheless. It's about a guy infiltrating the Al-Qaida. I guess contemporary themes are always interesting. I'd rate it a 6.5/10

Best thing on TV:
The Sopranos - Final season.

Best website discovered:
Like the best movie category, this one's a no-brainer. DonationCoder!!  :Thmbsup:
A big thanks to mouser & the rest of the DC gang - regulars, semi-regulars, software authors,
spammers (some of whom also belong to category 1 'regulars' - i keed! i keed!  ;D ) & anyone who posts here.

Best software discovered:
X2 wins. Hace MMM & Foobar2000 follows close behind.

Best hardware/gizmo bought:
Going from a 15" CRT to two 21" LCD monitors was truly an eye-opener (it's the season of giving, all cheap puns shall be pardoned!)

Please feel free to add your own categories if you like.

I have just three more things to say before I end...

SpoilerGrave of the Fireflies - WATCH!!!
SpoilerGrave of the Fireflies - WATCH!!!

SpoilerGrave of the Fireflies - WATCH!!!!!!!!!

mouser:
I put very heavy weight on recommendations like this from people I know.. I'll be watching it.

Dual LCDs -> I agree, it's the only way to go.

nosh:
Great! I was referring to the Japanese lang. version with English subs, BTW. There is a version dubbed in English but I don't know how well the impact of the original voice actors would carry through there. I've modified my original post to reflect this.

tomos:
good list nosh, cheers :Thmbsup:

nosh:
Thanks. Where's yours?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version