ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is a "Gentleman's drink"

(1/6) > >>

Josh:
I have heard this term used several times and I am trying to figure out what it means. Can anyone tell me what exactly constitutes a gentleman's drink?

Eóin:
Without a doubt Jägerbombs.

More seriously though it's usually any drink young people find difficult to pallet. So you're talking very bitter pints; stouts and the like, or spirits neat. The particular pint or spirits would be very cultural though. Here in Ireland Guinness would of course be the iconic Irish drink even though younger people rarely drink it. With spirits then whiskeys, brandys and to a lesser extent cherrys would be "gentleman's drinks" while little or no one drinks vodkas straight here.

Grorgy:
I guess it also depends on your definition of a gentleman  ;)

Renegade:
Insanity...

More insanity...

Even more insanity...

Does the insanity ever stop?

Now don't get me wrong... I sure as Hell wish that I had enough money to drive me completely insane. I'd love to be in the loony club with the guys that can afford that stuff!

Wouldn't it be cool to have a roll of $100's in the bathroom?

app103:
A gentleman's drink is what would be traditionally served in upscale exclusive men's clubs.

Things like gin, cognac, brandy, a martini, and expensive exotic mixed drinks.

Not a cowboy drink as served in an old western saloon. (cheap whiskey)
Not what college kids and football fans drink. (beer)
Not cheap wine the bum in the park can afford. (night train, thunderbird, wild irish rose)
Not girly mixed drinks. (rum & coke, anything & fruit juice, things that have names suggesting sex)
Not a granny drink. (anything mixed with tea, coffee, or tomato juice)
Not homemade moonshine.
Not a kiddie drink. (anything non-alcoholic dressed up to look pretty, like a shirley temple)
Not a drink served at family gatherings (like egg nog or party punch)
Not the crazy stuff they serve at raves (jello shots, things that glow in the dark)

Not the drinks of the 'lower classes'.

Think James Bond, Frank Sinatra, Hugh Hefner....the things they would drink, and the things they would serve to close friends, and the things they would serve to special male guests they wanted to impress. A gentleman's drink "compliments a Cuban cigar".  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version