ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Acronis True Image

<< < (3/5) > >>

Lashiec:
Hold your horses! How old is your copy of Nero 7? If it's very old, I suggest you get this "update" (it's the full version, actually), and use your code with it. Nero made some software additions during Nero 7 lifecycle, so you could end up getting extra applications with the update, just because they weren't present in the first installation (it happened to me the first time).

Cuffy:
Yup! You nailed it!
The CD I bought for $5 ??? is Nero 7 Essentials and is part of a bundle. It contains Suite 1 and Photoshow, an acre of cab files and a serial number.
Guess I could go shopping for bargains while that 332mb download comes in......... ;D
Not sure I have much to gain except smarts but at my current hourly rate the price seems about right.
Again, stay tuned  :)
That CD, Nero 7 Essentials may be worth the pittance they're charging for it if you don't mind the 332mb download to get the balance of the suite.
I'll be baack!

Carol Haynes:
Nero Express isn't Nero Burning ROM - it is a reduced functionality version.

If you want a minimal install of Nero just go for the Burning ROM and ignore everything else. For a minimal Install Smart Start is a waste of time as it only acts as a front end to load Nero apps (OK it can check for updates - but I prefer to do that manually).

For me Nero ImageDrive is useful tool (and accessible via the Control Panel).

Having said all that I very rarely use Nero these days - I mostly use ImgBurn and Ashampoo Burning Studio.

Ever since Nero started including video and photo apps, media players etc. it really has become a buggy jack of all trades and master of none. I wish they would divorce all the media stuff and sell the burning rom app as a standalone package. As it is I guess they are losing a lot of their older customers. I certainly won't upgrade to version 8 (and regret coughing up for version 7 at the time). The only thing that new versions can possibly justify is better hardware support etc. but since I am still using basic ATAPI DVD drives there isn't much to gain in Blu-RAY and HD-DVD support and anyway extending support is done much cheaper elsewhere as you don't have to buy all the media rubbish again.

Cuffy:
I'm back!
The 332mb download is the Nero 7 Demo/Trial.
I tried to open the downloaded file with IZarc (SFX ???--- nope) so punched the .exe. I missed any options presented about what I wanted to install so it proceeded to uninstall Nero 6 (an option) and install all of Nero 7.
As a demo it fully installed, including a serial number. The demo expires in about ten days but you're presented with an opportunity to insert the serial number from your CD, which I did, it offered to check for updates, which I approved, none were available, so now I'm up and running with everything included in the Nero 7 package.
Nero Burning Rom is probably all I'll ever use but I can play with the rest of the features it offers.

That Nero 7 cd that's floating around for cheap contains a serial number that works here so unless it's so buggy it's unusable it appears to be one helluva deal.
I'll report any bugs I find to the forum.

BigJim, you might suggest this to your friend with the photo problems. It might be the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem, especially if you and I forego any commissions that may be due.   8)

Lashiec:
The funny thing about Nero 7 Essentials is that it brings along the kitchen sink BUT it does not bundle Nero Image Drive <_<, the guys over at Nero must think Nero Showtime or Nero Photocrap is more important for discs burning that an utility to mount disc images. I suppose the full Nero 7 does have it, but what else does that version have over Essentials if this one installs over 1.5 GB of files if you don't choose the Custom Install?

BTW, if anyone gets Nero 8, you should install only Nero Express. Apparently Nero thought they know better than Microsoft, and they redesigned Nero StartSmart to be almost an entire OS, or that's what it seems from a "review" I read a while ago, complete with RSS feeds and everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version