ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

... [ARRRRRRRGH!]

<< < (3/3)

housetier:
I wonder if it's possible to replace this one widget. I mean most applications make use of the standard windows widget set, which, I guess, is uhm stored in a .dll. Now if someone were to re-implement it and install it in such a way windows would find it...

I don't know if it can be done easily. I am sure it is possible with an uncertain amount of hackery.

f0dder:
The ellipsis(...) isn't a "widget" - it's simply a piece of text, and it's up to each and every individual developer whether (s)he wants to add it to a menu item, button (etc.) or not.

But I guess you could catch a fair amount by globally hooking SetWindowTextW() and replacing all occurrences of "..." with "".

Deof Movestofca:
First result on Google.-Lashiec (December 25, 2007, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Never said there wasn't a MS source, rather it was lanux128 who said that he (or she) "couldn't find [one]".  Second, like the Sun article, I doubt it's one that many non-programmers have read.
I think it's a great idea....-Lashiec (December 25, 2007, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
And that's fine and dandy by me.  I don't and on my system, I would like to remove them.  What other people do with their system is up to them.
I like the ellipses, just like I like the Alt+Letter underlines. They both serve a purpose, and I can't understand people who find them un-aesthetic.-f0dder (December 25, 2007, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I like the Alt+underline too, since I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts over the mouse and therefore find it useful sometimes to be reminded of what they are.  At the same time, I can understand there's different strokes for different folks (hey, maybe that would go well in a theme for a TV show...:)).  Just because I like something doesn't mean everyone else has to like it, and just because I don't like something doesn't mean other people can't like it.
If you want to remove the ellipsis, you'll end up modifying at least a bunch of .exe resources, and for some apps you'd have to touch regular data and even code as well, since menu items can be constructed dynamically.-f0dder (December 25, 2007, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, I was mainly interested in just removing them from the Windows shell components (such as the start menu and the context menu) since I use it daily and thus notice them there most often.  I hadn't considered that maybe some of the ellipses might actually be part of an application since those that I have been able to remove I did so through editing the registry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version