ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

I love the Bulk Rename Utility!

(1/10) > >>

zridling:
Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow member kfitting, I found the excellent Bulk Rename Utility, written by Jim Willsher, who also has a fine PHP newsletter app. It's fast, easy, uncomplicated, and everything is right in front of you.

From the Help file. Bulk Rename Utility supports flexible renaming criteria, including:
· Select files and/or folders
· Files and/or Folders
· Full support for Perl-5 Regular Expressions
· Change the file name, or use a fixed filename
· Convert the extension to lower case, upper case, title case; replace it; add a secondary extension; remove it; or leave it alone!
· Replace text with other text
· Add a fixed prefix
· Add a fixed suffix
· Add text to the middle of a name
· Remove the first n characters
· Remove the last n characters
· Remove from the nth character to the nth character
· Remove a list of characters
· Remove all digits, characters or symbols
· Remove double-spaces
· Crop text before or after a fixed character or string
· Change to lower case
· Change to title case
· Auto-number files, with a prefix or suffix, and with a predefined minimum-length if required.
· Prefix or suffix the filename with various dates (date-modified, accessed, created, or today's date), in many different formats with variable separators
· Append the folder name to the file
· Store your frequently-used criteria as Favourites
· Copy or move the renamed files to a new location
· Set or clear attributes on the files (not folders)
· Rename files according to a delimited list.

All of these changes automatically ignore the filename extension, as it's usually dangerous to change the extension for a file. However, you can change the extension case to a fixed extension, and you can also remove an extension. You can choose to ignore extensions within folder names (but not filenames). The application supports Favourites, which allows quick access to frequently-used rename configurations. Directory recursion is also fully supported, allowing you to process directories and sub-directories.

This application is continually being enhanced. If you like the application, but have some suggestions for enhancements or improvements, then please get in touch. If you don't like the application then please tell me what you don't like! I would add some more functionality (e.g. allow conversion of double-spaces to single-spaces, allow removal of leading spaces) etc., but I'm struggling to find the room on the screen! If anyone has any bright ideas....

Bulk Rename Utility is donationware and well worth it. Thanks kfitting!

mouser:
wonderful, you've convinced me to try it!

my experience with renamers is that it pays to have several, and then use the one that makes it easiest to do the current job you have in mind.  sometimes one renamer makes it easier than another for a given task.

Darwin:
I, too, love Bulk Rename Utility. I've been using it for about two years - settled on it after having trialed a number of other Renaming apps and purchasing one of them. BRU is easily the best of the bunch.

I used to have three different renaming utilities installed so that all contingencies were covered. I no longer find this necessary with BRU installed - it's met all of my needs thus far. Of course, other people's mileage may vary...

As Zaine's post implies - Jim is very, very approachable.

Nighted:
I've tried this utility and it is very good...but it's not the best I have found.

Flash Renamer, hands down, it the best I've ever found...and I've tried many. Flash Renamer is the only one I need, all others have since been deleted. I found it when searching for a renamer that I could call from the context menu.

Site and screenshots here: http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/screenshots.asp

kfitting:
Glad I could help... it is an excellant tool!

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version