Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow member kfitting
, I found the excellent Bulk Rename Utility
, written by Jim Willsher, who also has a fine PHP newsletter app. It's fast, easy, uncomplicated, and everything is right in front of you.From the Help file
. Bulk Rename Utility
supports flexible renaming criteria, including:
· Select files and/or folders
· Files and/or Folders
· Full support for Perl-5 Regular Expressions
· Change the file name, or use a fixed filename
· Convert the extension to lower case, upper case, title case; replace it; add a secondary extension; remove it; or leave it alone!
· Replace text with other text
· Add a fixed prefix
· Add a fixed suffix
· Add text to the middle of a name
· Remove the first n characters
· Remove the last n characters
· Remove from the nth character to the nth character
· Remove a list of characters
· Remove all digits, characters or symbols
· Remove double-spaces
· Crop text before or after a fixed character or string
· Change to lower case
· Change to title case
· Auto-number files, with a prefix or suffix, and with a predefined minimum-length if required.
· Prefix or suffix the filename with various dates (date-modified, accessed, created, or today's date), in many different formats with variable separators
· Append the folder name to the file
· Store your frequently-used criteria as Favourites
· Copy or move the renamed files to a new location
· Set or clear attributes on the files (not folders)
· Rename files according to a delimited list.
All of these changes automatically ignore the filename extension, as it's usually dangerous to change the extension for a file. However, you can change the extension case to a fixed extension, and you can also remove an extension. You can choose to ignore extensions within folder names (but not filenames). The application supports Favourites, which allows quick access to frequently-used rename configurations. Directory recursion is also fully supported, allowing you to process directories and sub-directories.
This application is continually being enhanced. If you like the application, but have some suggestions for enhancements or improvements, then please get in touch. If you don't like the application then please tell me what you don't like! I would add some more functionality (e.g. allow conversion of double-spaces to single-spaces, allow removal of leading spaces) etc., but I'm struggling to find the room on the screen! If anyone has any bright ideas....Bulk Rename Utility is donationware and well worth it. Thanks kfitting!