ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Agnitum is offering 3 for 1

<< < (2/5) > >>

Darwin:
I've had a ZoneAlarm Pro licence for years (6 to be precise) and have kept it up to date. However, I'm behind a wireless router most of the time and have recently removed ZA (and the Webroot Firewall which I was playing with as well) from my machine. I can see the necessity of having a software firewall when I'm on a public network, but is there any argument to be made for continuing to run a software firewall (other than the one that comes with XP) when behind a hardware firewall, MAC address filter, and WEP encryption (router doesn't support WPA  :o)?

Curt:
Hey Darwin. I wish I was the one who could answer you, but frankly I don't know what you were talking about - you know.. Some people have a way with words about IT, other people,... oh... have not way .. and I for one have no idea about what a router is or can do, not to mention a wireless one of the kind, but I find the subject exciting! Please forgive me for displaying my ignorance againagain - but I am truly looking forward to read the other members' answers to your question - maybe they will also reveal what is the meaning of terms like "WEP encryption" and "WPA", or explain why a MAC address filter probably has nothing to do with a MAC?!

;D

... is there any argument to be made for continuing to run a software firewall (other than the one that comes with XP) when behind a hardware firewall, MAC address filter, and WEP encryption (router doesn't support WPA)?-Darwin (December 22, 2007, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
  :P

WEP and WPA are two standards (the first older and less secure than the second) for protecting wireless networks. Basically, you have to have a "key" (much like a software licence key) to connect to the wireless access point (router). The router is the thingie (that's a technical term) that allows more than one computer to access the internet through the modem. This is usually used with a broadband connection. A lot of these routers (mine included) come with a built in "hardware" firewall that functions much like a software firewall. Finally, your MAC (Media Access Control) address is a semi-unique string that identifies your ethernet adapter cards. In the case of MAC filtering on a wireless network, you restrict access to the network to those cards for which the MAC address is recognised.

Hope this helps!

Lashiec:
Darwin, are there many geeky teenagers with too much free time in their hands living in your area?

Darwin:
Don't know about "geeky", but lots of disaffected youth slouching by the front door...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version