ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

'We'd be better off if women ran everything'

(1/1)

Darwin:
So says Desmond Morris in his latest book "The Naked Man" in an interview with Stephen Moss of The Guardian. Quite an interesting read - he's still controversial 40 years after his other famous book...

tomos:
good read all right (the article I mean), anyone read the Naked Woman one?
Sounds (to me) like he gives too much importance to "Art" in the big scheme of things, or maybe I'm just cynical having being through four years of art-school myself

About women in politics - sometimes they end up being worse than the men (e.g. Maggie Thatcher) maybe from having to prove themselves even more than the men :-\. Often they seem no different, but if there were more women than men would be interesting to see.
Not really sure how Angela Merkel (German "Chancellor") fits in there, no difference I can see (less vain than the last one though!)

Maybe related:
I think I told you (Mike) about a book I read years ago -
Daughters of Copper Women based on the myths of the "elder women of the Nuu-chah-nulth Nation on Vancouver Island BC Canada"

It's written, I suspect, from a feminist perspective (which, when it was written -1981- pretty much meant anti-men :down:)
but, after telling how the world was formed (not very complimentary to men, the first of whom grows out of the womans snot ;D) describes society up until the "white" (Spanish I think) people came.
Which society was, yes, more or less run by the women.
Seemed a quite successful & peaceful society till the white came - some very funny descriptions then of the interactions with the Spanish, in particular with the religious/priests who basically had the piss taken out of them big time

Darwin:
Ha, ha - no, you didn't tell me about that book (or if you did the Belgian beer has masked the memory  :o). I've seen it around here, but have never read it. I'll have to pick up a copy. I teach in a Nuu-chah-nulth community (Port Alberni), so it would definitely "behoove" me to give it a read!

All of this could get very interesting in the next 12 months (if Hilary gets into the White House, er, again).

Darwin:
Hmmm... wikipedia's Port Alberni page is better: Port Alberni, British Columbia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version