ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

.Net Questions

(1/2) > >>

arunpawar:
I've few questions regarding the .Net programming language.I've not learned .net i've some observations about this technology and have few doubts as well.

Earlier the Visual basic 5x/6x can be easily distributed to the other users,without the need of runtime environment.There was no necessity for the Runtime environment for it.But introduction of .NET made VB.Net to use .net environment whereever the program runs.So this runtime environment looks like copy of Java's Runtime environement,is it so? But java is cross platform,Why Microsoft created Runtime Environment for .net?The .net environment is not going on system other system than windows,not even on apple.(I dont know if the latest Office 2008 requires the .Net component for Mac,i think there isno component))

.Net programs can be compact than previous MFC and VB programs but the introduction of Runtime environment makes the setup increases above 10MB cause the environment itself is upto 10mb.So if we create simple utility like todo lists or thesaurus program then even we have to force our users to download the runtime environment on there system?

Is .Net works properly with older systems like WIN9X,win2k?

Today software industry is geared towards distributed and cross platform application,making the software specific for windows or learning windows only programming language will pay us in future?Do .Net wil survive in the future,against the open source technology?

Another out of the box,question.
Why Microsoft is giving away their IDE's as Free? (Visual Express series) as lot of commercial level work can be easily acomplished thru these IDE's.

As Visual C++ express is free,Borland C++ Builder is not worth to buy.And Borland Sees this as problem and made the decision of including the Delphi and Borland C"++ builder in one single product after the launch of RAD studio.After the RAD studion the BCB and Delphi will be sold together.What do you think this move is gathering developers in its side.cause they are falling short of developers due to Open source technologies.Making IDE's and some part of technology(.net source code) will let them survive?

Please let me know what you think? I've these questions as i'm doing job search as programmer,i need to know where some future stands for programming language before taking decision as programmer to choose a perticular language to earn some money for survival.

justice:
You should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework where most of your questions are answered.
Much of the sourcecode for .NET base library is or will be made available.
.NET 1 runs on Win98 and above
.NET 2 runs on Win2000 and a bove
.net 3 runs on XP and above.

From its beginning, .NET has supported multiple programming languages, and at its core remains platform agnostic and standardized so that other vendors can reimplement it on other platforms (although Microsoft's implementation only targets Windows, Windows CE, and XBox based platforms).

I'll let you read up on the rest. ;)

f0dder:
Btw, the VB6 runtimes aren't shipped with all windows versions. Can't remember which version started shipping by default, it might be as old as Win98, but I do remember having to download VB6 runtimes to use some app... many years ago :)

housetier:
There is Mono Project, wich provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix.-http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
--- End quote ---

So .NET is going somewhere besides windows :)

CWuestefeld:
Today software industry is geared towards distributed and cross platform application
-arunpawar (December 21, 2007, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I strongly disagree with this statement. It sounds like you've been drinking the Linux-zealot kool-aid again. Very little commercial software development is actually cross platform, especially any "relevant" software; Adobe's products are about all I can think of.

But in any case, there are actually 3rd party version of .Net (Mono and DotGNU come to mind) that allow most fully-managed .Net applications to run on a variety of platforms.

Why Microsoft is giving away their IDE's as Free?-arunpawar (December 21, 2007, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Microsoft has always catered to developers, or at least tried to (they haven't always been successful, e.g., the TestDriven.Net fiasco); I imagine you can find a video of Steve Ballmer's "Developers" explosion on YouTube. A million years ago their developer products were cheap and easy to license; now that there are decent freeware alternatives, Microsoft continues to lower the bar to entry into Windows development.

Their philosophy is that people use Windows to run applications; the more applications there are, of higher quality, the more likely people are to stick with Windows. So they do everything they can to encourage developers to build Windows apps.

This runtime environment looks like copy of Java's Runtime environement,is it so?-arunpawar (December 21, 2007, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, it's not a copy, but it can't be denied that Java was a significant influence on it. It's hardly surprising that they'd be similar, since most of their goals were similar.

So if we create simple utility like todo lists or thesaurus program then even we have to force our users to download the runtime environment on there system?
-arunpawar (December 21, 2007, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
MS is trying to ensure that .Net runtime is installed on user's computers. It's included with XPsp2, and it's a recommended install from Windows Update. It should turn out to be a similar situation to the VB runtime, or MSVCRT. The one notable difference, of course, is that including the runtime in your VB app was trivial; doing so in a .Net app is a big deal because of the size of the thing, as well as the difficulty of installing it.

Please let me know what you think? I've these questions as i'm doing job search as programmer,i need to know where some future stands for programming language before taking decision as programmer to choose a perticular language-arunpawar (December 21, 2007, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't worry too much about the specific language, but do worry about the language family. When I'm hiring a C# developer, I don't care too much if most of your experience is Java. They are both OO languages syntactically deriving from C, with GC memory management; much of the way you think about programming is the same in both languages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version