ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How many of you use encryption?

<< < (6/16) > >>

Josh:
Will BestCrypt Traveler allow you to access encrypted containers on a machine where you do  not have admin privileges?
-mwb1100 (December 20, 2007, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quoting the help file:
"Please note that the user should have administrating privileges to run BestCrypt Traveller software."

"BestCrypt Traveller" seems like a very limited version of commercial "Bestcrypt". I'll stick with TrueCrypt.... 100% free, no crippleware.
-wr975 (December 21, 2007, 01:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does TC allow you to run it off a usb drive and without admin rights? I would love to have a portable encryption system I can use on any system.

mwb1100:
Does TC allow you to run it off a usb drive and without admin rights? I would love to have a portable encryption system I can use on any system.
-Josh (December 25, 2007, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, no.  This is understandable (same as for BestCrypt Traveler, I'm sure) since there's a device drive involved and only admins can install/load device drivers.  There have been requests on the TC forum for some sort of access through a regular program for non-admin access (like opening an archive) - even if read-only, but there's been no apparent developer interest in that.  You'd have to implement enough smarts about NTFS and FAT filesystems to get that to work for Windows containers; that's very non-trivial, and then you'd have to also deal with Linux and Mac filesystems for completeness.  So, I think this is probably not in the cards.

f0dder:
FAT access would be pretty darn easy, NTFS... ugh. Although linux read-only access is stable enough, so that code could be ripped. But one could probably live with FAT for use on a flash pendrive, which is where a device-driver less solution is required...

Would take a bit of work though, sure :)

f0dder:
If you've used PGP to encrypt individual files, and haven't used wiping tools, you have residue left on your harddisk that's easy to restore. Using multiple layers of keys hasn't been mathematically proven to make you more secure, you shouldn't use a cipher you don't trust a single layer of.

For text files, fSekrit is pretty good. At least that's what the government has told me to tell you 8)

housetier:
I am more and more inclined to back up my data, and then reinstall my OS using a crypto-container this time. And I am thinking about encrypting all data that leaves my computer. Well not so much "data" as files.

I think I have been careless in some areas in the past...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version