topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Monitor Rotation  (Read 8413 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Monitor Rotation
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:05 PM »
This looks like a good idea for certain applications.
Has anyone ever played around with it (other than as a prank)?

http://www.entechtai...om/util/irotate.shtm

I was given a small, 13" TV set many years ago and I use to turn that on it's side to prevent getting a stiff neck while watching it in bed.

I was thinking of bed patients. Rotating the screen, depending on their position in bed, might provide some comfort to people in that situation.

The same would be true with TV, such as in the military hospitals, but that would require rotating the entire TV set.
Food for thought, though!

:-\

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monitor Rotation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:57 PM »
I remember back in the late 80s being amazed by an Apple Mac system that had a beautiful A4 monitor. It was designed for DTP with exact 100% A4 output.

The brilliant thing was that the monitor would rotate from landscape to portrait just by turning the screen on a pivoting base - as you rotated the screen the computer automatically rotated the video output to fit. It was truly gorgeous to look at and way ahead of its time. It even had dual momnitor capability. I don't know if that functionality is available in OSX or not - I have never heard anyone mention it.

There I said something nice about Apple!  :-[

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Has anyone ever played around with it (other than as a prank)?

Was already mentioned in another thread.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:35 AM »
Entech is also the maker of the popular PowerStrip and tools such as MultiRes. just adding the screenshot for iRotate..

iRotate

iRotate provides convenient access to the native rotation capabilities present in contemporary display drivers, via a popup menu accessible from the system tray and optional system-wide hotkeys. It's no longer necessary to resort to bloated Windows hacks, additional software layers or phantom drivers to achieve content rotation. In most instances, support is now available directly from the graphics chip manufacturers, who continuously improve and apply quality assurance to their drivers.

irotate.gif

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:50 AM »
When I posted this originally I was thinking more about the capability of rotating the display to accomodate a disabled person. The news is full of stories about our disabled trooops and I was curious about how much work had been done to use the features available in currently available hardware to aid the disabled?
Thirty years ago I turned a small TV set on it's side on the side of my bed to watch something. A disabled troop sure couldn't do that with a 21" portable nor with a 21" monitor.
With a monitor on a table beside the hospital bed could a patient easily rotate the display 90 degrees left or right, CW or CCW, without assistance. Is there simple software available to perform the action?

I don't have any answers and perhaps there is no need?
Henry J. Kaiser said many years ago "Find a need and fill it".
I saw the post from Entech about the display capabilities, the little trick of tipping the TV set on it's side popped into my mind. The thought process continued and I wondered if anyone had explored any of this and whether there was a need. My mind is warped! Something that moves, a box to tell it how, and a programmer to tell the box what to say seems like something waiting to happen. YMMV

I'm sorry if I confused anyone. Hopefully Kaiser filled the need already!