ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Current IE8 build renders the ACID2 Test correctly!

(1/12) > >>

Josh:
The most current build of IE8 running in standards mode now correctly renders the Acid2 browser test.

Acid2 is a test that determines how well a browser works with several different web standards.  Successfully rendering Acid2 is an important landmark for IE8, as it highlights the interoperability, standards compliance and backwards compatibility that we're committed to for this release.  We are also announcing that IE8 Beta 1 will be released in the first half of 2008.  This is the first significant disclosure of IE8 features and standards support and we expect broad interest.  A Channel 9 video interview will provide further detail on this announcement.

As per usual, we will continue to collect designer and developer feedback to determine additional milestone timelines further down the line.
New information for developers:  One of the goals of IE8 is to support the right set of standards with excellent implementation and without breaking the existing web.  Last week, IE8 reached a core milestone:  IE8 in standard mode now correctly renders the “Acid2 Browser Test”.  Acid2 is a test that determines how well a browser works with several different web standards.

--- End quote ---

Source

Nighted:
Sure...but will it support animated PNGw (.apng)?  FireFox 3 & Opera 9.5 already do. XnView seems to support it also.

Example

edit by jgpaiva: fixed wiki link

MrCrispy:
This is great news, but in the end, its not about standards compliance but having all the browser vendors (FF, IE basically) agree on which standards they will agree to.

We're at least 5 years away from proper support for CSS3/HTML5, if we ever get there. Till then, web developers will continue to write customized pages based on browser quirks. And frankly, a lot of them probably want this state to continue as its where the money is at.

And there's a whole host of emerging technologies such as Adobe AIR, the new Flash language, Microsoft Silverlight, and whatever else happens to come along. AJAX and Web 2.0 seem so old now :)

Ehtyar:
I'm sure this will last a day...and a half...perhaps.

Ehtyar.

Ralf Maximus:
This is not aimed at anybody, and thanks Josh for posting the IE8 update.  It's good to hear anything on this (apparently) super-secret black project from Microsoft.  But am I reading it correctly?  Basically they're pleased because... it works?   

"Dude, IT RENDERS HTML!!!  Alert the media!"

Yes, I know it's an important benchmark in the IE8 development process, but how long has it been?  5 years?  And just now they've gotten it to meet expected rendering standards?

Pardon my apathy, but really... do I need another browser?  It's like everyone's trying to reinvent the spoon here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version