ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

... [ARRRRRRRGH!]

(1/3) > >>

Deof Movestofca:
I didn't want to hijack the "My Stupid Windows Question" thread at https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4eac8018fe832dcdccfb985f77718cf1&topic=11354.0, but I have a similar pet peeve with the ellipses ("...") Microsoft puts after a bunch of menu items (e.g., "Run..." on the start menu).  I've been able to (reg)edit most of them out, but "Run...", "Shut Down...", Log off [current user]..." (on the start menu) and "Search..." on Windows Explorer context menu remain elusive.  Not that it's all that big of an annoyance, but still, if someone knew how to get rid of these (at least to me) pests, it would be much appreciated. :Thmbsup:  If not, well, life goes on.

tinjaw:
I am curious to know why you wish to remove them. I assume you understand they do serve a purpose and are not just randomly spread here and there.

Nighted:
I don't use them. I remove them from my install disc.

Deof Movestofca:
I am curious to know why you wish to remove them.-tinjaw (December 19, 2007, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Aesthetics, mainly.  Sort of like removing the "My" from the various "My [Documents, Photos, Pictures, etc.]" subfolders under the assorted user profiles in Documents and Settings.  I simply think the menu items look better without them.

I assume you understand they do serve a purpose and are not just randomly spread here and there.-tinjaw (December 19, 2007, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
If there's a purpose to them, I'm completely missing it.  Note that I only want to remove the ellipses (and have done so with several menu items such as changing "Search..." in the start menu to "Search" without noticing any ill effects to my system) not the entire menu item itself. 

Lashiec:
Ellipsis are used in Windows to indicate the user when a button leads to another dialog, instead of actually performing an action, so it's pretty useful to remind you when you can initiate an action that can't be undone, that is, it gives you one more try. Of course, some programmers ignore this, but it does not happen too often.

EDIT: Some rephrasing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version