ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop hard drive... 5400 or 7200 ?

<< < (13/15) > >>

tomos:
ahhhh...
it's one of those :-* I love donationcoder :-* days

Darwin:
Pierre - your parents should have called you "Eve"  >:( Just when I thought it was safe to enter an electronics store, too...  :P
-Darwin (January 15, 2008, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
And I do love apples
-PPLandry (January 15, 2008, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

vegas:
Oh... there you go again, tempting (tormenting) me! However, I am saved by the the fact that my notebook features a PATA interface, and the new 5400 rpm Samsungs and the latest generation Seagates, Toshiba and Hitachi 7200 rpm drives are all SATA only. Vegas, you note that you have a new Seagate 7200 rpm drive but that it is ATA100/PATA interface, correct? What model is it? Curiosity is killing me (or at least is going to seriously dent my bank account  :-[).
-Darwin (January 14, 2008, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

My model is the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A 100GB 7200 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive for $109 @ NewEgg.  Now a discontinued item (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146230), but I would imagine similar performance from later revisions or competing models, reviews permitting.

Darwin:
Thanks Vegas! That answers both (related) questions... Sadly, I HAVE that drive, but a SATA. I ordered it in haste without checking the connection and it now sits in an enclosure...

The price of the 7200.1 drives is dropping all the time, perhaps I'll try one.

vegas:
Thanks Vegas! That answers both (related) questions... Sadly, I HAVE that drive, but a SATA. I ordered it in haste without checking the connection and it now sits in an enclosure...

The price of the 7200.1 drives is dropping all the time, perhaps I'll try one.
-Darwin (January 16, 2008, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried returning it?  NewEgg is quite flexible on their returns policy, especially if you have been a customer for a while, also if you call to speak with a representative.  Worth a try if you don't want the SATA version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version