ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TrueCrypt - FAT32/NTFS

(1/2) > >>

brotherS:
Hi,

I bought another external HD and formatted it NTFS (at least I'm very sure I did) within TrueCrypt. Strangely though, in TrueCrypt's "Select Device" window, it's now shown as FAT32 (all other HDs/partitions are shown as NTFS). Even more strange: when I right-click the mounted HD in the Windows Explorer and check its properties, Windows says it's NTFS.

Huh? :huh:

brotherS:
Anyone?

Wild guesses welcome too  8)

f0dder:
It sounds... strange. But no idea, really. Can you post some screenshots of compmgmt.msc/disk management, and the right-click properties etc?

brotherS:
It sounds... strange. But no idea, really. Can you post some screenshots of compmgmt.msc/disk management, and the right-click properties etc?
-f0dder (December 21, 2007, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Could do, but not much to see there... and compmgmt.msc/disk management shows nothing because it's an external HD.

e712:
The drive is formatted FAT32, the truecrypt drive is NTFS. 

TrueCrypt does not change the underlying file system.  Even TrueCrypt cannot see a partition or drive until it is mounted, it only sees the underlying file system, in your case, FAT32.

The drive you purchased was preformatted FAT32.  TrueCrypt wrote data on the FAT32 drive.  When mounted this is a NTFS drive.  When not mounted only information about the underlying file system, FAT32,  is available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version