topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: farr: users' tips and tricks (plug-in configuration, general usage,...)  (Read 10558 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know if this is a good idea, but I thought of creating a thread for all our farr tips and tricks : plug-in configuration, general usage tricks, etc.

Edit 2 : It would nicely complement this other thread (thanks lanux!): Alias sharing
Edit 3 : And here's a link to all aliases and plug-ins (thanks lanux!): https://www.donation...user/findrun/addons/

So, farr fans, here's the opportunity to share your farr knowledge : :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:41 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll just start with a simple locate plugin for farr (I'll soon add screenshots)...

It was first posted in answer to a question about farr's indexing capabilities :

Third, and this is just a question on mechanics - Does FARR create an index like Launchy and Key Launch.  (Key Launch can be found here: http://www.konradp.c...erline_app=keylaunch but it's definitely not as good as FARR)

So... to use farr with an index you can :

1) Use the locate plugin for farr (and to use the plugin efficiently, you could assign a special hotkey to it... more about that later)

2) You could also "simulate" an index by making  the "max. files to keep in launch history" value pretty high (in the "Interface" section of the "options" window) -- mine is now set at 990. It's a small index that's being created as you use farr, so to speak... It will record all the files you searched or the programs you launched (if you open farr's *.ini file, you can actually see that list of files/programs and even edit it). So, in other words, it's an index that works only for files/programs you launched with farr at least once .

Now... if you want to use the locate32 plugin, here's an example on how to do it (it might look complicated, but it's not):

First : Locate32 installation...

1- Install Locate32 -- I suggest you install the Version 3.0.7.4090. The latest one doesn't seem to play well with the plugin. Don't know if that was fixed or what...

2- Configure it the way you want (start locate, right click on its taskbar icon --> click "settings")

3- Index your drive(s) according to what you set in the settings...

Install and configure the farr locate32 plugin:

3- Install the locate plugin for farr if needed (I have no idea if it's now included in the beta download) : http://www.dcmembers...e32/FarrLocate32.zip

4- a- Open the "Options" window in farr
    b- Select "plugins, updates, fonts" section
    c- Click on "click to Examine and configure plugins"
    d- Then Click on "Locate32 Plugin". Set the plugin to work the way you wan't

5- (Still in the "locate32 plugin" window) In the "regular expression match" field , type ^loc (.*)$ (almost anything could do here -- it's only an example)

6- Don't forget to point to right path if you didn't use the default path when you installed locate32-- normally the path should be something like  : C:\Program Files\Locate\Locate.exe, for locate, and C:\Program Files\Locate\updtdb32.exe for updtdb32 (you can set that through the "Configure advanced plugin options" -- click on it).

7- Close the plugin configuration window

Set up the Hot key -- not necessary, but will make your searches with locate32 effortless (using less key strokes):

8- Go to the Hotkeys tab in the "options" window
9- Right-click somewhere in the white space --> select  "add new entry"
10- Name you hotkey in the "descriptive label" area
11- Choose a comfortable (and available) Hotkey trigger… :)
12- enable "Set search text bellow (or clear it)"
13- Write "loc " (with a space after "loc") in the "Text for Search Edit Box" field.
14- Click ok.

Close the option window, etc.

Try your new hotkey : it should automatically write "loc " in the entry field. And then write something you're looking for : it should search and find immediately (if you indexed your drives before, of course!).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:12 PM by Armando »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nice, Armando! here's another thread with collection of aliases: Alias sharing. 8)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes yes ! I quickly looked for it but didn't see it the first time... thanks lanux !
So this thread should be more for plugin configuration and general usage tips and tricks...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks Amando :Thmbsup:
this particularly helpful for me - I'm very slow to really use programmes to their full capabilities :-[
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
just remembered and linking the web page for the plugins & aliases: https://www.donation...user/findrun/addons/

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Any easter eggs?