ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you 'capture' a BSOD?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Josh:
This was more of a tip for you if it happens again :)

f0dder:
Probably a graphics driver issue, or possible corrupt ram, or an issue with your PSU, or... yes, computers are wonderful. But most definitely not because of VGI->DVA adapter, and not because you're running dual monitors either (except that running two monitors will use more video ram).

If you do get a BSOD, windows should be able to save the BSOD information, as long as you have a paging file on your system drive. Also, it's helpful to not have the system automatically reboot on BSOD, check system properties -> "advanced" tab -> "settings" button in "startup and recovery" group, and remove the tick in "Automatically restart". That'll give you more time to read the BSOD while it happens :)

tinjaw:
The issue is probably that the default behavior for Windows is to reboot on a BSOD. To change this behavior right-click on My Computer and choose properties. Go to the Startup and Recovery tab and uncheck Automatically Restart. This will allow you to be able to write down the details of the BSOD.

How do you 'capture' a BSOD?How do you 'capture' a BSOD?

nosh:
Thanks f0dder & Tinjaw (f0dder mentioned the auto restart tip in his post too :)) . It was probably a loose connection then - most likely to the gfx card. I thought of swapping the adapter ports coz Dxdiag (esp. directdraw test 2 - the block bouncing in 'normal' mode) was clearly more responsive for the non-DVI output, it started off a bit slow on the DVI port before picking up speed.

Though the PC didn't restart on its own during these freezes, I did have 'Automatically restart' enabled, it obviously makes sense to have that disabled. In my case the BSOD flickered for a split second before the display got garbled again - no restart though. I have been running with a paging file Spoilerread something on TweakGuides about Windows absolutely needing one, irrespective of mem size
but on another drive so it sucks to enable it on C: too, for the mem dump. I'll know what to do the next time something acts up tho.

PS: The freezes were sporadic but one particular OpenGL screensaver (Euphoria, from the ultramon people) jammed things up every single time. Just out of curiosity: We keep regular DirectX updates but what about OpenGL? How does one go about updating their libraries?

tinjaw:
How does one go about updating their libraries?
-nosh (December 16, 2007, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

OpenGL libraries are updated with you update your video drivers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version