ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

S.O.S.....Having troubles "upgrading" from Vista to XP SP2

(1/8) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
I have been trying to upgrade my Toshiba laptop from Vista to XP without a lot of success, so I am needing some help.

mouser:
The general approach with such stuff that i recommend is:

1) backup current hard drive image so you can always go back to you current setup (i.e. use a drive imager like Acronis, etc.)
2) backup any of your data files in an easy-to-access way.
3) visit the website of the computer manufacturer and find and download all drivers for your computer (important if you have a laptop since there are commonly special drivers for the network, touchpad, etc.)
4) do a clean install of the new operating system, wiping out the previous one (i.e. never try to do a formal "upgrade")
5) install the drivers
6) do a driver image of the new clean install.

Toshiba is a good laptop maker and their drivers are easily available on the web -- you should have no problem with xp on that machine.

CodeTRUCKER:
Oops!  I already blew it on the first bullet.  :-[  Lesson learned for next time.

mouser:
Here is your page of drivers from the toshiba site:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?moid=1757701&rpn=PSAEGU&ct=DL

You want to download the most recent of each different driver.
Check your bios version as well and upgrade your bios if it is older (MAYBE -- only if you feel like an adventure).

Any pc that can run vista can run xp well.

CodeTRUCKER:
No question about that.  The trick is to get the Vista machine to "run" XP.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version