ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Applications Stealing Focus...

<< < (6/10) > >>

mouser:
i knew josh was gonna hit me for dcupdater.
note that it's an option in dcupdater, though i suppose i should make the default to not popup and grab focus.

Josh:
Of course I was going to nail you for it. IT COST ME A TOURNAMENT MATCH!!!!

Darwin:
Renegade - you really struck a nerve with this thread - onto a second page on it's first day. Wow!

Lashiec:
It's OK? IT'S OK?! Who voted it's OK? >:( ;)

J-Mac:
Not OK!!  It IS evil!!!

Man, I hate when focus is lost - and BTW, a window doesn't have to appear for it to steal focus.  Anytime another program causes the one you are currently using to LOSE focus - you know, where nothing appears but the title bar dims? - that is as bad as it gets.

I often have to use Dragon Naturally Speaking to input any large amount of text - my one arm stops working if I do a lot of keyboard work. And I can have Word open, dictating away - and suddenly the title bar dims and the dictation is going absolutely nowhere!!  If I am staring at the monitor I may notice it quickly.  If not, I may dictate a paragraph before realizing it is for nothing.  Plus, when using speech recognition you really have to get into a rhythm and speak fluidly - no choppy, hesitating speech - or the recognition quality goes down the tubes. Whenever this got really bad I would stop everything and go nuts on the PC until I found the offending application - then I would remove it while laughing maniacally! (Computers do this to us!)

Last time it was Windows Desktop Search - it was installed when I installed OneNote 2007 - OneNote needs WDS if you want to search for text in graphics.  I don't use WDS otherwise, so that went.

Other desktop searches occasionally go crazy and start indexing even when you don't have it scheduled to do so.

Process Tamer is the best weapon I've found thus far.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version