ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Applications Stealing Focus...

<< < (9/10) > >>

Armando:
So... What's the solution to all these "stealing focus" woes?

yksyks:
There's no ultimate solution, I'm afraid. As I complained before, the batch file I'm using works, but the setting gets lost after a while. I was not able to catch the culprit, but while monitoring the ForegroundLockTimeout value I noticed that TweakUI tries to reach this variable on one more location with "not found" result. So I created this value in registry and added appropriate line to my startup batch file. I don't know exactly what does this mean, however, the result is not bad--so far the setting was not rewritten!

--- ---REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundLockTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00030d40 /f
REG ADD "HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundLockTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00030d40 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundLockTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00030d40 /fThe other thing is that not all applications behave decently and respect these settings, but this is another story. Enjoy and let me know if it works for you, too.

justice:
Specifies the time, following user input, during which the system keeps applications from moving into the foreground, says technet.

yksyks:
Sure, I know, I was speaking about the 3rd line with "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop".

semi-pro:
A little late here, but you never know who might be reading...

As noted above, no ironclad Windows XP setting or tweak exists to stop certain applications, because they do not respect the Windows "ForegroundLockTimeout" regkey listed above. For those programs that do comply, constantly resetting ForegroundLockTimeout will work using solely the HKCU regkey.

Adding ForegroundLockTimeout to the HKLM branch is not only ineffectual and superfluous, it disables the ability to set "Prevent applications from stealing focus" with TweakUI (because the HKLM value overrides TweakUI's per-user setting.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version