topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Proxy  (Read 8565 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Proxy
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:22 AM »
Disclaimer - not sure what I'm talking about here   :o

I just tried running DC Updater for the first time, and it kept failing.  Although there could be other reasons - like operator failure  :huh:  I suspect this is because it's behind a proxy.  I tried setting the proxy in the configuration, but no joy.  The proxy is of the form

http://nn.nnn.nn.nnn:8086/proxy.pac

note the file at the end.

Please can DCUpdater allow this kind of proxy setting?  Or, perhaps better, crib an idea from Martin Aignesberger's WebSite-Watcher and other programs, to have an option where DCUpdater interrogates IE for what proxy it's using, and uses that?

aignes

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • WebSite-Watcher
    • Donate to Member
Re: Proxy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:48 AM »
When it comes to proxy requirements, I can only recommend to use the wininet technology.

While most third party internet components handle the basic proxy authentication correctly, they often fail when it comes for example to NTLM authentication (which is handled perfectly with wininet).

The wininet technology provides also a technology to download stuff with IE configurations, in that case it's not required to enter proxy configurations within your app.
- Martin Aignesberger,  author of WebSite-Watcher

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Proxy
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:19 AM »
i think libcurl (which i use for dcupdater) can use web proxies fine -- i just have to figure out how to configure them.  if anyone has a reference on which proxies work in dcupdater currently and which don't, that would help.