topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 9:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PhraseExpress vs Direct Access  (Read 6747 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PhraseExpress vs Direct Access
« on: December 12, 2007, 01:04 PM »
Bits Du Jour has PhraseExpress on special at $10 today.  Has anyone used this and DA?  Are they pretty much the same thing?

Thanks!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PhraseExpress vs Direct Access
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:47 PM »
Why not download PhraseExpress - it's FREE for home use today - the $10 is for a commercial license!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 01:51 PM »
PS PhraseExpress does look similar to DirectAccess. I'm downloading to try it out now.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:52 PM »
I like PhraseExpress, but (on my system) it caused some odd behavior.  I leave my PC running 24/7 and after 3 or 4 days systemwide keyboard response became sluggish.  Like, typing into any MS app with Intellisense caused insanely long delays.

During troubleshooting I removed PhraseExpress and the problem went away.  I was forced to conclude that was the culprit, though it might've been a conflict with AHK.  Since uninstalling PhraseExpress I haven't tried to narrow it down any further.

FWIW.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 02:09 PM »
Why not download PhraseExpress - it's FREE for home use today - the $10 is for a commercial license!

I haven't tried PhraseExpress, yet.  I did come across one comment that indicated that the free, non-commercial, personal-use license had nag screens:

I've liked using PhraseExpress, after hearing about it on Lifehacker before, but I had a sad experience with v3: after using it for awhile, nag screens start to pop up every few times you execute a macro. I didn't see mention of this on the info-pages, so I was caught unaware by it, and I don't know whether it's a problem in v4. I hope not!
-http://lifehacker.com/software/autocomplete/download-of-the-day-phraseexpress-windows-252889.php

Does anyone know if free use results in nags?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:09 PM »
I'm at work, and just learned about it today, so can't really download to compare.  It's inevitable that I'll use it sometime that I'm making a profit, so I was just wondering if someone had used it.  Thanks for the responses!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:16 PM »
$10 is an attractive price - DirectAccess is $40. PhraseExpress is not as pretty and not as intuitive as Direct Access but it does seem to be very light on resources. I doubt I'll be switching to it (Honesty check: I'm no longer using ANY launcher, though I have quite a few installed) but I'll leave it installed and will play around with it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I *think* what you are reading about with respect to nag screens probably relate to a "commercial use suspected" pop-up that is discussed in this thread on the support forum. There's an older thread on the same topic here.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 10:08 PM »
I went from PE -> DA -> PE.

DA is prettier, easy to use. But it just gets unusable after heavy usage as it becomes slow.

PE is more powerful, fantastic on resources (very light weight), fast and w/ the release of PhraseExpress 5 Beta, it's a must have application.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>