Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 03, 2014, 02:21:58 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Personal Event Log  (Read 8636 times)
222fbj
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:07:35 PM »

Updated Description:  I'd like a fast way to log a recurring event (that I am tracking) acutally happend.  My thought is a Program or Firefox Custom Button that, when clicked, adds the date/time to a log file.  Features that would be nice to have:
1. Works with or without the log file (text or html) open in a Tab
2. If log file can be html - record the selected event as an HTML table row.
3. Indicate the event was added by sound and/or message
The following enhancements would allow logging a few different recurring events...
3. Button includes a dropdown with entries based on my own text/vars (eg Event Description 1, 2, 3, etc)
4. Record the selected event as "Date/Time" plus "Event Description"
5. Default button opens the html/text file

Original Post...
I'd like a fast way to log a recurring event.  My thought is a tray icon that, when clicked, adds the date/time to a log file.  My use of this app would be 2 record when something (that I am tracking)  acutally happend.  Features that would be nice to have:
1. Indicate the onclick event by sound.
2. Ability to assign a name to the mouseover popup
3. Ability to assign my own (tray) icon
4. Tiny memory footprint

If there are alternative ways to do this pls let me know... I don't use AutoHotKey so that is not an option for me.  I'm on XP Pro.   I use Firefox 2 - maybe a bookmarklet/extension could write the time to a txt file?  I'll post a question about this option at www.custombuttons2.com

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:42:02 PM by 222fbj » Logged
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »

I have already got this close to finished. I check back here and see that you have updated your description.  tongue No problem. Give me a few minutes to get this up for you to start testing.

tinjaw
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:48:04 PM »

Here is version 0.0.0.3 of Click2LogIt. It just has bare minimum functionality at this point.

• No installer. Just run it.
  • By default the log file will be named My Click2LogIt File.c2l in your My Documents folder.
  • You can right-click on the tray icon to change the log file.
  • Clicking on the tray icon will log the current date and time and sound a quick beep.

I will start adding the other stuff you asked for.

Please report bugs or request features on my mantis server. (You will need to create an account with a valid email address.)

222fbj
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »

Hi Tinjaw,
Thank you so mucn!  Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup I am sorry about changing the description- but did not think anyone would start so fast.  I look forward to any enhancements you come up with... thanks again!

Barrett
tinjaw
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »

I'm in the middle of moving, but I have scheduled some time to work on this Saturday evening. I'll have a new release and some documentation.

222fbj
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 12:49:06 AM »

Thanks for the update - looking forward to it.
Good luck with the move...
BJ
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »

some feature request ideas:
  • ability to set a text label from the tray, that would be used on subsequent log items. so it's always still just click to add a log item without any request for additional info, but you can change the label added to each log item when you desire.
  • use a more pleasing tone -- the system beep you use sounds like my bios beep warning me the cpu is about to explode from heat
  • global hotkey that can be used instead of clicking tray
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:38:58 PM by mouser » Logged
tinjaw
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:26:10 PM »

1. Works with or without the log file (text or html) open in a Tab
I think that was because you were originally envisioning a Firefox plugin.

2. If log file can be html - record the selected event as an HTML table row.
Issue: 0000017: HTML Log files - Mantis

3. Indicate the event was added by sound and/or message
This is already in there, but I am going to change the tone. Issue: 0000018: use a more pleasing tone

3. Button includes a dropdown with entries based on my own text/vars (eg Event Description 1, 2, 3, etc)
I plan to add the ability to add multiple phrases. 0000019: Allow several different user definable phrases to be set. Please feel free to add to the issue by registering.

4. Record the selected event as "Date/Time" plus "Event Description"
In there.

5. Default button opens the html/text file
There is a tray menu item to open the log file.

tinjaw
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »

some feature request ideas:
  • ability to set a text label from the tray, that would be used on subsequent log items. so it's always still just click to add a log item without any request for additional info, but you can change the label added to each log item when you desire.
I think what you are asking for is already in there. You right-click on the tray icon and select the menu item "Change Log Text". If that is not what you are looking for let me know.

• use a more pleasing tone -- the system beep you use sounds like my bios beep warning me the cpu is about to explode from heat
I have entered issue: 0000018: use a more pleasing tone and that spurred Issue: 0000021: Allow user defined audio file.

• global hotkey that can be used instead of clicking tray
Issue: 0000020: add hotkey support

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.036s | Server load: 0 ]