ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista’s ReadyBoost benefits on your Windows XP machine with eBoostr

<< < (9/9)

f0dder:
... Oh, and disabling NTFS last-access (not last-modify) is also very nice.
-f0dder (December 29, 2007, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup: Thanks muchly for the tip. (I also ended up setting "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" to 1)
-Tyinsar (January 02, 2008, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Disabling 8dot3 creation can be dangerous if you run any 16-bit applications... and chances are you might do, even if you think you don't; for some reason, 32bit versions of InstallShield kept using 16bit installers for a long, long time.

But thanks for reminding me of this setting, considering that I run 64bit XP now and can't even run 16bit apps anymore, I might as well disable 8dot3 myself :) - dunno if does much difference performance wise, though.

Tyinsar:
Yeah, I read the warnings but thought I'd give it a shot anyway. If there are any issues I think I can fix them. I'm installing XP 64 very soon anyway.

Curt:
New eBoostr 2

eBoostr 2 Released
April 16th, 2008 |

What’s new in version 2 -
Here goes a quick list of the additional features with more details "below":

Memory caching (if you have plenty of RAM installed);

Exclude list (the most requested feature);

Power saving mode;

More than 4GB cache file size (on NTFS file system only);

One flash drive use on different computers;

Unlimited number of files in cache;

Build cache process improvement (including initial statistics used from XP prefetch information);

Load balancing mechanism improvements;

And many small fixes and enhancements;

And finally 16 new languages added: Portuguese, Ukrainian, Finnish, Czech, Danish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Polish, Korean, Swedish, Sinhalese, Lithuanian, Arabic, Belarusian, Japanese and Thai.-eBoostr
--- End quote ---

I have been using it for 3 days, and have a small improvement in performance
- I did not try the first version.

http://www.eboostr.com/news/eboostr-2-released/

Select your license type Price (USD) Price (EUR) Price (GBP)

PRO Version:
Includes all available functionality: RAM cache, exclude list, cache viewer, power saving mode, up to 4 devices.
$39 €26 £20

Laptop Edition:
Includes: battery saving mode, exclude list, cache viewer, up to 4 devices. No RAM caching functionality.
$29 €19 £15 -

Desktop Edition:
Includes: exclude list, cache viewer, up to 4 devices. No RAM caching and power save mode.
$24 €16 £12

Lite Version:
Limited to single USB thumb drive. Does not contain cache viewer and exclude list functionality.
$19 €13 £10

--- End quote ---

- I now know from experience that the prices are plus VAT

icekin:
I recently came across a tool called SweepRAM, which is free that aims to do something different : - It tries to allocate as much memory as it can to running applications and then then releases it.

It goes through all running processes and ask for them to be put out of RAM (into VM). When that happens, of course they’ll get right back there, but only as little as they actually need to as that time; meaning, after that they will only use as much RAM as they actually need to for the time being.
--- End quote ---

I've placed a shortcut to it in my start menu and the results are okay, but there is an annoying window that pops up saying that the task is done each time I run the program. There's apparently a way to run it with a /s parameter that suppresses this, but I'm not sure how.

f0dder:
icekin: actually, that application does not try to "allocate as much memory as it can to running applications and then then releases it." - instead (afaik), it goes through all running processes, and does SetWorkingProcessSetSize(process, -1, -1), which tells windows to "trim that process".

Much less non-lame than "allocate as much memory as possible", but still a pretty silly thing to do - it doesn't really help you... if windows needs more memory, it will do this trimming automatically. Remember: unused memory is wasted memory. And flushing things to the pagefile (and reading back from disk) is slow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version