ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista’s ReadyBoost benefits on your Windows XP machine with eBoostr

<< < (8/9) > >>

Darwin:
Just to clarify a point I made in my post about RAM optimization (and to anticipate a question or two) - in addition to simply disabling the icon in the system tray that reported how much RAM I had available, I also disabled automatic RAM recovery. After I had "survived" like this for a couple of months I simply uninstalled the RAM optimizer and never looked back. At this point I had been running Tenebril's MemoryBoost (I recall having gotten fed up with CachemanXP's habit of failing to report the amount of RAM free correctly. Wish I'd run the above experiment BEFORE paying for another RAM boosting application  :-[).

Josh:
What type of solution do you all use for RamDisk's? I've seen this mentioned in this thread a couple of times and am interested in setting one up.

f0dder:
Hm, as for eBoostr - I really wish they'd write a little about what the program is actually doing... it's too much marketing fluff and too little hard info right now for me to even consider installing the application. Is it any better than adding multiple paging files, does it use a filter driver, etc etc etc?

Josh: there isn't much difference between the RAM disks I've seen for NT. Most of them are relatively lame, I haven't seen any that can do things like dynamic resizing :(. I'm tempted to have a go at writing one myself, but I don't have the free time.

Darwin:
Yes, the information on eBoostr that is available is pretty much nil. Once you install it and setup a cache, you can explore the cache, which would give you some clues as to what it does. Sort of reminds of prefetching on steroids. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to interpret it (no idea, in other words)! I can post a screenshot, if anyone is interested...

Tyinsar:
... Oh, and disabling NTFS last-access (not last-modify) is also very nice.
-f0dder (December 29, 2007, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup: Thanks muchly for the tip. (I also ended up setting "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" to 1)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version