ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista’s ReadyBoost benefits on your Windows XP machine with eBoostr

<< < (2/9) > >>

Darwin:
PS Techspot has this to say about ReadyBoost:

It has been highly debated whether Vista's ReadyBoost actually works to speed up your system or is it an empty feature with a nice name. During a set of informal tests we performed prior to posting our Windows Vista Memory Tweak Guide we saw a noticeable increase in system response when ReadyBoost was used on systems with 1GB or less RAM, furthermore we saw an advantage of using it on laptops that generally come equipped with slower hard drives.

--- End quote ---

Ralf Maximus:
My other concern would be that it's raping the USB drive.  Those things really aren't meant to be used for random access storage; the flash memory would wear out pretty quick.  Unless things have changed dramatically in flash RAM technology...?

Darwin:
Here's a thread at neowin that goes into some detail about this. Conclusion? Bogus.

Lashiec:
Most tests I saw say that ReadyBoost only brings advantages (and not that much, mind you) with 1 GB of RAM or less. Considering the price of a 1 GB stick of DDR2 RAM these days, I encourage buying one and call it a day.

Using this method requires: a) A fast USB drive, with enough capacity, and b) A registered version of the program to do something. Considering the cost of both combined, I think you can find cheaper RAM easily.

On a completely different topic, Darwin, congratulations for your 3000 messages :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
Thanks Lashiec! I've been reading what I can about eboostr and opinions vary dramatically. I get the impression that *if* you have less than a gig of RAM and you've already a fast USB 2 thumbdrive this might be an alternative to increasing your RAM. Beyond that, most people seem to think that it's snake oil. I'd give it a shot but with 2GB of RAM and no complaints whatsoever WRT my system's performance I'd rather wait to see some conclusive results first!

PS I did find this review at OS9user, though, that also recommends Process Tamer  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version