ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista’s ReadyBoost benefits on your Windows XP machine with eBoostr

(1/9) > >>

a_lunatic:
Hi all has anyone seen this or willing to try it out looks good if it can support both USB and non-USB removable media devices, as well as additional hard disks & up to 4 devices.

Am going to try it out later once I find some time but hope some of you can put it through some tests as well to find out if its really worth it.

eBoostr™ allows you to use an additional drive (flash memory or hard disk) as another layer of performance-boosting cache for your Windows XP®. There is no need to purchase a Vista upgrade to get the benefits of the Vista’s ReadyBoost® technology. With the newly developed eBoostr™, the booting of your OS and applications startup get much faster thanks to the smart caching mechanism.

* Vista’s ReadyBoost benefits on your Windows XP® machine;
    * Smart caches frequently used applications and files for maximum performance speed up;
    * Supports both USB and non-USB removable media devices, as well as additional hard disks;
    * Allows up to 4 devices for simultaneous smart caching;
    * Cache file size of up to 4GB on each device;
    * Compatible with all ReadyBoost® ready devices.

http://www.eboostr.com/

The eBoostr™ trial version has no time expiration and you can evaluate it for as long as you wish. However the product demo is fully functional only for 4 hours after each system boot. This will allow you to evaluate the product and estimate how it performs on your configuration.

--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Hmm... could be interesting. I'm going to look into this myself as this is one aspect of Vista about which I have been curious.

Ralf Maximus:
My understanding is that the booster technology is of benefit only if you're borderline low on RAM... correct?

Darwin:
I'm reading a couple of reviews (first one says that there is no discrenible change in performance) and some more comprehensive descriptions of what eboostr "does". Can't say that any of it makes much sense to me (ie I can't see how this will work to improve system performance).

At any rate, Ron Schenone is just embarking on a two week trial here: http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/author/blade/

I'll be watching that space closely to see how he fares.

Darwin:
Ralf, this is one of the questions that I have about this technology as well... Ron Schenone is testing it with a gig of RAM; the other review I found (they're few and far between) stated was also running a gig...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version