ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you archive your Email or MBox2CHM?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
That's strange 'cos it seems to work fine for me on Windows XP.

The website just says it requires Windows 2000 or later - it isn't specific about Vista.

doublewitt:
Glad to see that you like MailStore. Maybe you can contact them about these little issues... and see how they respond... and discover what kind of service they employ...

Before using MailStore, for personal use, I was using Junkanoo, which I like also (freeware). It reads your mail from the server and copies it to an archive. It does this while applying a spam filter that conveniantly captures the emails marked as spam when also let's say, they shouldn't be, and keeps them for at least one day, so you can "catch it" and change it's status to good mail for the next mailbox scan. You can scan several accounts along with gMAIL accounts and delete emails from the server and avoid unnecessary downloads. Nice little tool.

Click here

I don't have those *problems with MailStore either... must be a Vista issue...

doublewitt:
I really enjoy using this software!
[url=http://www.mailstore.com/en/default.aspx[/url]MailStore[/b] also has some nice and useful administrative tools:
How do you archive your Email or MBox2CHM?

I think this is the best email archiver I've ever seen and it's so easy to setup.
In a few minutes - presto - it's all done.
give it a try...

J-Mac:
I've been using MailBag Assistant by Fookes Software for years.  Probably the most versatile email archiver I've seen.  Here's a list of features from the web site:

* Easy to use thanks to helpful wizards.
    * Handles the most popular message files.
    * No need to import e-mails to use them in Mailbag Assistant.
    * Handles native message files even if you no longer have the original e-mail program on your computer.
    * Enables you to easily share your correspondence with other Mailbag Assistant users.
    * Favorites menu to quickly reopen frequently used e-mail folders.
    * Message text is colored based on quote level.
    * Match tool selects all messages matching your criteria.
    * Filter tool shows only messages matching your criteria.
    * Search tools support Boolean operators, approximate matches, and Soundex matches.
    * Groups messages together meaningfully.
    * Sorts grid data when column header is clicked.
    * Saves e-mails into compressed message archives.
    * Stores and extracts e-mail attachments and HTML messages.
    * Exports e-mails as plain text, EML files, Web pages, and other formats based on customizable templates.
    * Extracts information like e-mail addresses and traffic statistics.
    * Provides built-in scripting language to automate tasks.
    * Integrated editor for scripts and templates, with syntax highlighting.

I will say that it is fast and offers searching in just about any way you could want.  You can tell it to find messages that match a certain set of parameters, extract all email addresses from those messages and then view them, print the list, store it in a file.  It carries the attachments with the messages - in the archive file.  I have been archiving my email messages with it in their compressed file format and also exporting all messages to EML files and zipping them up, then writing them to CD's - and now to DVD's.  (Mailbag Assistant doesn't burn anything to optical drives - I use Nero for that).  I need to make sure I have all email messages saved - can't afford to have a new version of my email program lose any past files, and restoring some email message stores from a regular compressed backup doesn't always work.

This is not a free program, though.  $39.95, so you really have to need it, IMO.

Fookes also sells Aid4Mail, a utility that will take all your email from most any email client and convert it to almost any other format.  When I decided to stop using Pocomail and switch back to Outlook the whole process took about 15 minutes for > 15,000 messages.  No preparatory work is needed.  Then I switched to Thunderbird 2 from Outlook and moved them all again.  Best part is it will maintain the same folder structure for you, which was a lifesaver for me.  This application has four versions: Standard, Professional, Forensic, and Enterprise.  If you will be converting to or from Outlook, though, you need the Professional version. Apparently there are not many other programs - if any - that will convert to and from Outlook because the PST file structure is so different from other mail apps.

Jim

kronhead:
I am coming in a little late here, but I have to ask why you all don't just use Thunderbird's mailbox folders, or local folders? I move messages into folders by year. One advantage is that my desktop search tool (copernic) indexes and searches these, along with active email messages. I realize I am probably wasting space - but disk is cheap, and my time is what I want to save. One tool to search everything means a lot to me.

I do wish Thunderbird had a way of deleting attachments - just large ones that REALLY waste space. I used to use an extension for this, but I am not sure it still works.

Just my 2 cents ...

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version