ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you archive your Email or MBox2CHM?

(1/5) > >>

crono:
Hi,

it's already December and I would like to archive my old Emails at the end of the year. I got about 4.5 GB of emails from the last 10 years - which make Thunderbird really slow. I would like too keep all the mail from 2007 in the client and archive older mails in some (still accessible) way. The problem is that Thunderbird keeps all mails in the MBox format what basically means one large file per folder.

I thought about these options:
1) Create a Filter to get all older Emails in a separate folder. This Folder could be compressed and backup'ed right away. MBox is plaintext so it is some way of search able but not really good readable and 100MB+ textfiles are slow when opened in an texteditor.

2) Just like 1) but transform the the MBox into Maildir - which stores mails as individual files. This solves the search and open issue but makes it really hard to find replies and followup's

Both "solutions" lacking the ability to handle attachments :(

My perfect solution would be as follows:
Create one CHM-File (Help File) per Folder per Year and keep the "reply-structure". CHM provides search, Index and HTML View - which would be simply great. I haven't found a tool to convert the MBox to CHM (only an Outlook Plugin). Does anyone know such a tool or another good solution? If no tool is found, I will go to code one by myself...

lanux128:
this program - ABC Amber (30 days trial; US $19.95 per license) claims to be able convert all sort of file-types.. maybe you can see if this suits you.

• ABC Amber Thunderbird Converter

crono:
Cool - nice find  :Thmbsup: - I'll give it a try :)

rjbull:
Aid4Mail and/or MailbagAssistant by Fookes Software?

doublewitt:
How about this FREE application called MAILSTORE?
It can archive all emails from Thunderbird.
click here

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version