ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

DivX Pro holiday download available for a limited time

<< < (2/3) > >>

lanux128:
and if i'm not mistaken the serial number is valid for future downloads as well..

Darwin:
Yeah - good point. I took advantage of one of these giveaways two or three years ago and have never had a problem updating, including to 6.8. Can't quite recall if the original version I got free was 5 or 6, but I suspect 6...

tinyvillager:
What's in the fine print is the additional $9.99 for the mpeg 2 plugin,and you are gonna want that,it's how you convert your DVD's to Divx.As far as calling it Pro,the Divx codec is free,which means you play Divx,it you go Pro,it means you can convert to Divx.

Josh:
What is in the DivX codec that isnt in the XviD codec? I mean, XviD is free and does what I need.

tinyvillager:
What is in the DivX codec that isnt in the XviD codec? I mean, XviD is free and does what I need.
-Josh (December 11, 2007, 07:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think Divx is aligning itself with more of a user friendly experience.In other words they supply the codec and a pretty simple frontend for converting.Xvid is nice,but it's for the people that want to fire up Virtualdub or whatever your frontend of choice is,and then it's what settings do i choose ? what does this and that mean ? You have to get online and sort through forum postings and guides,etc.

Divx as a company has been making some interesting investments,they just purchased Main Concept which means they're getting their foot in the H.264 door.That and MainConcept Licenses Core Codec Technologies to Adobe for Adobe® Flash® Player.So Divx now has a stake in Adobe flash as well.

So in the end you have hardware support (desktop players,portable players),flash support,H.264,etc.I predict Divx to be a powerhouse in 08.

While i use Divx i have to admit i've never used it on hardware,though it promises hardware support.Has anyone out there used a DVD player with Divx support and can you also use Xvid,if not that's also a big minus for Xvid. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version